Lighting penetration

Reaction score
Ok, i know that the AM 10 000k does not burn as white as the ATI and other more expensive brands.

But the question i pose is: Does the white light penetrate deeper than the "pinker" light given out by the AM tubes?

I think Sylvania is pinker in colour than the AM bulbs. The 2 I got on the weekend are really white.
I have not seen the ATI white so I could not comment there.

good question ej , as i noticed that the ati is not as white as some other tubes !!!

Well i need to light up a tank that is 1 metre deep, and i can only use 54 watt T5's. So i need the deepest penetration possible.

its a fish only tank, so i only need the light for viewing purposes.

Maybe if you put mirrors on the bottom of the tank....

Fish Only then don't worry about anything, the light will reach, just the PAR values will be almost non existent, which doesn't concern you as you not having corals.

Ok, when i say fish only, i will be keeping one or two small pincushions from my LFS right on the upper reaches of the rockwork.

But as i asked in my question, will the ATI and the like give me a "better quality" light on the lower reaches of the aquarium?

Last edited:
My God man, are you trying to get the highest poster label again?????

My issue is that i will be using 20 tubes, and i do not want to spend the extra money on the ATI if it is not needed.

hehe :tt2:

If I was you (thank god I'm not) I would use a couple of ATI's positioned where your corals will be and the rest of the lighting made up of cheaper tubes.

I asked a similar question quite a while ago about the penetration depth capabilities of T5's, there was a good discussion on it but no real solid answer came about.

In all honesty, 20 tubes is going to cost a whack, why not try a couple of MH's? Initial start up cost will be heavy, but then it's merely replacing the bulbs every 1-2 years, and for your purpose you can use Venture globes which you can get for a couple of hundred bucks each. A lot cheaper to replace 3 or 4 MH globes than 20 T5 tubes.

i will need too many MH's. The tank surface will measure 1500 x 2500. Hence the T5's, as i was going to run them across the width of the tank.

The halides i fear will cost a lot more in terms of electricity, and will generate a span of heat.

Man that's alot of tubes, why don't you use a mix of the 2? 4 mh and 8 tubes?

Speak to Reef Inmate maybe he can make you a good looking unit for the lights? I would go with a mix as it allows you to get corals at a later stage...

JMO - for what it's worth.

Oh shit did not think about the heat.... just a quick sum for you....

20 T5's @ R200 = R4000
10 ballasts @ R150 = R1500
40 endcaps @ R40 = R1600
20 Reflectors @ R50 = R1000

total Cost = R8100

Shit that's alot of DIY....

Unfortunately to go with a RI unit i will be very poor. I will spread the tubes evenly over the surface of the tank, on a fixture that i can lift when i need to do tank maintenance.

I will use 5 blue tubes, and 15 white.

I will only be housing softies (no not a Dean, the coral type), for a bit of colour and variety.

Back
Top Bottom