KAJSafrica's First attempt at a SPS tank

Reaction score
So ive been in this hobby on an off. Every-time ive restarted was mostly due to me moving from country to country. Finally im a bit more stabilized and i have decided to jump back in but this time to have a go at SPS.

So during my previous builds i made plenty of mistakes but i feel that ive learned enough (mostly thanks to the members on this site) that im a bit more confident in tackling this project. its taken me a few months to accumulate all the equipment and i should be up and running soon.

All of my previous tanks were nano's and i made pleeeeeenty of mistakes with each one and with this build i planned on using all those lessons and hopefully creating something i can be really proud of.

tank - Is a 250 litre 4 foot tank.
lighting - i went a little overboard but i just couldn't resist. I went for the Zetlight Qmaven 6800 ii which should be more than powerful enough.
flow - I went with two jabao ow40's. ive never had controllable pumps so im pretty excited to see what kind of flow patterns i can make.
Skimmer - bubble magus z5. Although its rated 300-500 i will most likely replace this further down the line.
bubble magus BM-T11 doser.
and finally a 4500 return pump.
ATO - Not sure which one, i bought it second hand.

Equipment still to come is the Zetlight e200's for the refugium.

As for bio media i went with 2 kg's of maxpect bio balls. A little bit over kill but as you will see in the picture im trying to leave enough space for the tang to be as comfortable as possible as well as leave room for the sps corals to grow out so i had to compensate for the lack of rock.

Last edited:
Reaction score
All that's left now is to finish up the stand, light mount, plumbing and the sump.

Last edited:
Reaction score
sump will be at the bottom, i just still need to glue the panels. Ill post pics again when everything has been set up.

Last edited:

RiaanP

Reaction score
So, when you filling her up?

Reaction score
So tank is filled, sump setup, time for the cycling. Next step during the cycling is to add cupboards.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just some info here on this setup. Im using the Pokpo overflow sysem. When i initially go the tank i was warned by a few people that the tank was a bit to thin to drill into. Ive gotta say, when you tune it correctly the pokpo system really is amazing.