Juices of pincusion coral toxic?

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the juices of a pincusion coral is toxic? I fragged mine yesterday and the smell was very strong, you even feel it in your throat and chest if you sniff your fingers. It was still smelling even after I washed my hands.

Hi Tobes - I have previously fragged my leathers, and never experienced this before.... Perhaps your specific type of pin-cushion.... but, I don't think so.

Howzit J, this smell is really strong/sharp on my fingers - just like a good expensive aftershave - lasts all day long...:p

Here is an extcact from WWM

Human Poisoning from Sarcophyton?
Anthony- After a somewhat panicked web search, I came across your article:
Coral Fragmentation: Not Just For Beginners! by Anthony Calfo - Reefkeeping.com
on coral propagation in Reefkeeping magazine. I say "panicked" because while I was attempting to cut a
diseased portion of a Sarcophyton species off, I inadvertently cut my finger in the process. The cut was shallow; so shallow that I did not realize I cut myself until the "operation" was complete, and it did NOT draw blood. However, I'm worried about any toxic reaction. It's been two hours as I write this, with no sign of rash or anything at the cut site, or any symptoms that can't be explained by panic disorder. Are there any warning signs/window of time I should be looking out for a "bad" reaction? Is it possible I introduced something harmful or lethal via this shallow cut?
I feel incredibly stupid for (a) doing this and (b) e-mailing someone I don't know about it, but I'd really like the opinion of an authority on this so I can rest easy or get myself to the hospital. Thank you very much for your time.. -Todd
<Cheers, Todd. Very glad to hear about the propagation efforts! Sorry to hear you got a scare :p No worries though my friend. Nothing imminent is likely regarding a poisoning or allergic reaction. What risk there is no worse than the same risk of being bit or stung by a non-venomous fish or even simply putting your hand in the tank on a daily basis
with a hangnail or other non-related wound. Specifically, there are nasty microbes in all aquatic environments and specifically we fear Vibrio or Mycobacterium.
Your first step of course was/should be to cleanse the wound thoroughly with soapy water and then use a disinfectant (antibiotic cream, peroxide, or the like). The doctor is unlikely to be necessary but do call at least to get his advice. Really... the concern here is more from a septic infection from the razor than anything the coral could impart.
Sarcophytons are specifically noxious to other corals and aquatic invertebrates with regard for allelopathic compounds. Again, since this is not an overtly poisonous (to humans) animal and you didn't even draw blood... it seems likely that you will have a very nice holiday week. The only poisoning that I see as being likely in your near future is alcohol poisoning tomorrow night <G>. Happy New Year, my friend. Anthony>

Thanks Alfie :thumbup: , still stinks though...:p

Tobes,did you frag it in your tank or in a container of some sort?

Thanks Alfie for the awesome bit of information/confirmation.

Alfie - have you ever fragged a leather coral that had such a strong smell from the resulting fluids of the coral??

I cannot ever remember that OF the leather corals I ever fragged, they gave off such a smell.....

They do contain toxins and there is a smell to it but I don't know to what extent this was. I place mine on a tray and let it slime out completely and then rinse it before I start cutting it.

Howzit guys, I took it out of the tank and cut it around the edge - like taking a tyre off a rim - it looked like a big mushroom, was getting too big and overshading other corals. I cut it immediately and then rinsed it before putting it back into tank. Looking good, pins came out that same night. Here's pics before fragging.

DSC00484.gif

DSC00342.gif

Back
Top Bottom