How to stick live rock together

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a lot of loose small rocks which I want to glue together in some way to stop rock falls.

What product do I use and will it work if the rocks are wet?

I don't mind taking the rocks out for a few hours but I don't want to let them dry.

Any help will be appreciated.

You can use milliput to stick them together without removing them from the tank - just don't use too much in one go - how big is your tank?

Just remember to mix the milliput with dry hands and don't mess aruond with it underwater - this is what makes the tank cloudy - i once saw a beautiful cube tank turn to shit inside a week because to much milliput had been used at once.

Wee-Monkey said:
You can use milliput

Thats Pratley's putty original in civilized countries like SA.

But for the rest he is right.

Live rock can stand out of the water for a few hours and be fine.

If you can take it all out and lay it on the a flat surface, build the structure with putty and let it dry it would be first prize. You would be able to move it after about 2 hours but you would need to be carefull with it as it needs a full 12 hours or so to cure properly.

You can also drill holes in the rock and use cable ties to put bigger pieces together.

So Pratley putty it is.

The tank is a 3000X750X750.

Thanks for the advice.

Will take out some smaller pieces stick them together then put them back in. Leave them for a few days then take out the larger pieces and again stick them together to get a larger piece.

Sound like a plan sylvano, and boy that sounds like a tank, er we would love some pics :D:D

So Pratley putty it is.

The tank is a 3000X750X750.

Thanks for the advice.

Will take out some smaller pieces stick them together then put them back in. Leave them for a few days then take out the larger pieces and again stick them together to get a larger piece.

Blimey, that is a monster, you may find you don't need to stick the larger pieces together, at least until you are happy with your rock work, only stick the dodgy bits together. For what it's worth - i haven't ever used it to stick my rock work up - i just too the time to build carefully and avoid tall narrow bommies, but if you want to build in features just go easy with the putty.

Hi Kanga,

You posted on my thread called patience is the name of this game and there are pics there. As well as a thread called Why not crushed coral.

Although outdated as I removed all the course coral as per your suggestion and have replaced it with fine crushed coral.

That was last weekends job. I then rescaped the tank and it looks much much better. Well at least in my opinion.

Have not had the time to post new pics yet. Work is driving me crazy.

Hi Wee-Man

Some of the pieces are just small and my balancing skills are good until my urchin arrives. He just muscles his way through and my eel doesn't enjoy the rocks heading his way.

So I just want to stick some of the smaller pieces together so that the balancing act no longer needs to apply.

Will go easy on the putty. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Have not had the time to post new pics yet. Work is driving me crazy.

yip silly season, enjoy :):)

You posted on my thread called patience is the name of this game and there are pics there. As well as a thread called Why not crushed coral.

Ah I recall, kewl I will have a look:thumbup:

Hi Wee-Man

Some of the pieces are just small and my balancing skills are good until my urchin arrives. He just muscles his way through and my eel doesn't enjoy the rocks heading his way.

So I just want to stick some of the smaller pieces together so that the balancing act no longer needs to apply.

Will go easy on the putty. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Sorry i didn't realise you had an urchin - good little rock movers them:lol:

ok so to be clear....

Pratley putty is safe to use to attached a coral (that is already attached to a piece of rock) to live rock?

cool.... I have bought some... Much cheaper than the commercial products that are available from the LFS's...

Question, can I attach the coral under water? As a rule I dont expose any of my corals to the air... (stupid question???)

You can but try not to mould the putty too much udder water, just put it down and squish the coral/rock into it - and do it a little at a time, it is considered reef safe, but your skimmer won't like it.

As a rule I dont expose any of my corals to the air... (stupid question???)

No real problem exposing them, you expose them when you frag them. Just have a bucket of tank water to rinse them in as some do produce some slime. Just don't leave them out of the water too long. Try get them to "close" first, depends on the coral.

Back
Top Bottom