How safe is a babylonia whelk snail

RiaanP

Reaction score
I got two babylonia whelk snails. Very interesting, popping out from hiding in the sand whenever I feed the other tankmates. Seems to like the flakes that ends up on the sandbed. The shell are about 3cm long.
If they are concidered predators and not reef safe, what do they attack? So far they stay off the live rock, only moving around on the sand.
Pictures for those who do not know this snail, here I copied photo's pasted a while back. (credit to Warr for these nice Photo's)
52847c1f6382aeed.jpg

52847c1f6edec85d.jpg

52847c1f86dc4dfc.jpg

They are supposed to be predatory, but many reefers keep them, there are popular sand shifters in the UK, don't worry.

Sorry Warr, but you are wrong.
The one in the pictures are whelks, Check
Babylonia formosae this is a whelk, Babylonia formosae

The Super Tongan Nassarius Snail (Nassarius distortus)
Nassarius (Niotha) distortus

Their shells are very different.

Guys that is not a whelk, it is a Super Tongan Nassarius Snail, awesome CUC

Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Super Tongan Nassarius Snail

Sorry Warr, but you are wrong.
The one in the pictures are whelks, Check
Babylonia formosae this is a whelk, Babylonia formosae

The Super Tongan Nassarius Snail (Nassarius distortus)
Nassarius (Niotha) distortus

Their shells are very different.

They are very similar looking snails, but the one at the top is a Whelk;)

By the look of the shells yes, but by behaviour no. My whelks have never taken down any creatures in my tank and I have over a 100 snails and 30 baby hermits in my tank.

By the look of the shells yes, but by behaviour no. My whelks have never taken down any creatures in my tank and I have over a 100 snails and 30 baby hermits in my tank.

They are supposed to be predatory, but many reefers keep them, there are popular sand shifters in the UK, don't worry.

didn't i just say that????

Back
Top Bottom