Fragging a leather

Reaction score
Folks,

I'm thinking about fragging my one leather (sinularia), I have a few questions:

1) Can I do this in my main tank or do I _need_ a quarantine for leathers.
2) Can I use ordinary superglue-gel as most people indicate for general fragging, I dont think pratlys will look good on leathers.
3) When is the best time to do this, when the leather is already sulking or when its extended?

I'm also asking because I have a 2 on 1 branch thing going on, it'll be much cooler to scrape the one leather off and give it some of its own breathing room.

-E

1.a bucket with water will be fine when fragging not in the display
2.use an elasticband to strap it to a piece of rock
3.if its fully extented and you remove it from the tank it will begin to sulk so it doesnt realy matter

mekaeel,

I appreciate the response... so NO glue... only elastic... how long does it take to attach? 1-2 weeks?

-E

Remove from tank to do actual frag - rinse and return to same place.

Ellastic bands are hit and miss - use plastic toothpics and rubberband this down to keep in place - fishingline and needle is also good option to stitch in place.

Use a sharp blade to give a clean cut - try to cut right through in one motion.

Ensure leather is healthy and extending polyps before fragging.

The coral will slime itself for protection, so glue will not work. USe an elastic, but not too tight as it will cut through the coral if it is too tight.

I have used the tooth pick method, or replace the coral and wedge between 2 rocks.

Cool info.

Any advise on where to cut? Length wise or cut the head off?

Tom,

Will take pictures when I do... trying to co-ordinate this with my next water change, problem is I'm swopping my sump out then too... also trying to get around the logistics of using elastic bands to hold the pieces in place!

-P

Eish! Too many fings to do ;) the elsatic can also frag for you as far as I know, i split a softy at the base with one and the two bases then took on the same rock. So If I want to move one to another rock it should not be to hard.
Hopefully.

When fragging leathers, they sould always be taken out the tank if possible. They release a lot of toxins into the water when fragged. To attach the corals to the reef, I have used cable ties in the past. After the coral has attached, just cut the cable tie off.
Here is an interesting link to attaching corals of all sorts, written by Antony Clafo, who is the coral guru of the world:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-10/ac/feature/index.php
Neil

Well for the best first hand advice, be sure to attend the IMACSA conference in Durban to watch Anthony Calfo do fraging demonstrations on all types of corals.

Here are a few pics of how I have fragged and attached Sinularia in the past.

Sinularia1.jpg

Sinularia2.jpg

Sinularia3.jpg

Sinularia4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom