Filter compartment reccomendations

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by PJL, 20 May 2013.

1. PJL

PJL

Hey all I was wondering if my filter arrangement was ok? Ive got a 65l nano aquarium with a filter compartment at the back and at the moment almost 3 weeks into cycling My water is crystal clear and params getting better by the day but was just wondering if you would change anything Only got Carbon at the moment but will ad Phosguard and Purigen once the tank is cycled Bit difficult to get a picture because the tank is close to a wall but this is how it looks ?

filt.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

does the water flow between 1st and 2nd chamber from underneath the divider? and then overflow the divider between 2nd and 3rd?

Problem is you chemical is before mechanical. So you will end up with blocked carbon a lot quicker. Add a small piece of eggcrate above the return pump, and put the carbon bag on top of the eggcrate. Can even put filter flos above the carbon to catch out more floating particles, but that then needs to be replaced as and when needed.

4. PJL

PJL Thread Starter

Hey Riaan Water flows from Left to right I will put a better sketch up tomorrow Theres actually 2 pieces of glass between every compartment Water flows over the filter first to catch all the big particles and then over the carbon I will put the phosguard and Purigen next to the carbon I replace the filter weekley to stop nitrates

5. PJL

PJL Thread Starter

Hey This is a more accurate

filt.jpg

6. the fish

the fish

can i suggest 1st chamber for skimmer then second chamber filter then carbon and then 3rd for heater and return pump

7. PJL

PJL Thread Starter

Hey I also tried it like that Problem is the the second chamber is the only one big enough to fit my skimmer

8. the fish

the fish

that could be a bit of a problem. can the first compartment not be modified a little to accommodate the skimmer? move the two panes of glass up just a little bit so copmartment 2 is a bit smaller. you dont need to have a lot of space in for filter media and carbon as it is. well if you are not planning on keeping LR in the sump.

9. PJL

PJL Thread Starter

Hey Ill have a look and see if there is anything that can be done Thanks!

10. the fish

the fish

no problem

11. shan

shan

here is my take:

1: move the heater to the chamber with the return pump (chamber 3).

2: In chamber 1, you can then add filter floss - now here i use batting - basically go to a fabric shop and ask for batting - it's like R50 for a year's worth. Google "fabric batting" to see what it looks like. I cut the batting to size - or just a bit bigger and put it in right where my water comes in - i put in about 6 to 7 cut outs and then daily i remove 1 until the weekend when i do my WC and then remove whats left and add move.

3: Below the batting i put in that sponge thing.

4:In chamber 2, below your skimmer, i put some seachem matrix in a bag.

5: now that little partition as the water goes up to your return is very good for things like phosban and purigen in media bags - well this is what i do. this makes it easy to pull out when you change them or regenerate.

6: as mentioned above, carbon on eggcrate

12. Express Reef

Express Reef

@PJL will recommend you search MASA or the web for "Sump design" will give you a much better explanation... Golden rule is 1st Mechanical filtration 2nd chemical filtration 3rd return

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. Express Reef

Express Reef

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

NOPE
    unless you got a ATU

The heater top part where the thermostat is will get dry at some point. And registering atmosphere instead of water. That will overheat the tank

Nope, rather heater in first chamber as the second is already full.

Carbon bag can stay under the heater, or better, move it to lay on top of the return pump.

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

at worst, over one weekend, your ATU knows you are gone for the weekend and will stop working. And if your heater is in the return chamber it could eventually be almost completely out of the water. If it does not overheat your tank, it will at some point explode. Killing your tank, and possibly you as you stick your hand in the water. Hopefully the heater tripped the power to the house. NOPE

16. PJL

PJL Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys Ive had a look and theres no way for me to put the skimmer in any other then the second chamber accept if I remove the chamber partition glass which I really really dont want to do. Its strange because the skimmer came with the tank and it only fits in the second chamber. Shan, Ive got batting in, I didnt know what to call it so on my sketch I called it filter material haha Thanks for the idea to put filter bags in between the glass partitions as the water rises that is a great idea! I dont have a sponge in as I heard they are bad news My 1st chamber has a inlet at the top and botom so I dont think I will be able to put the batting in the first chamber as the water will simply by pass it Ill def try it I think Ill keep the heater in the first chamber for safety. Thanks Riaan Ill move the carbon to the return pump!

Recent Posts