DSB and fluidized?

Reaction score
Hey all have put water and all in my tank and sump and have a Merlin 60 fluidized filter running on 700 ltr/hr. I also have a small DSB..... Realised too late that it is maybe too small. It is 14cm deep, 15cm wide and 55cm long. Running the 2 together will the amount of nitrate created from the nitrogen cycle within the filter be dealt with by the small DSB. What dya pros and gurus thing?

hey CaCo3,you can ditch the fluidized bed filter as the DSB will take care of the nitrates

Without hijacking this topic, what purpose can the Fluidized Bed Reactor(FBR) be used for?

I would like to run carbon followed by phospate remover in two seperate FBR's, will this be advisable. Just so that its neatly tucked away and stuf...

Hey all have put water and all in my tank and sump and have a Merlin 60 fluidized filter running on 700 ltr/hr. I also have a small DSB..... Realised too late that it is maybe too small. It is 14cm deep, 15cm wide and 55cm long. Running the 2 together will the amount of nitrate created from the nitrogen cycle within the filter be dealt with by the small DSB. What dya pros and gurus thing?
Hi CaCO3, can u post a pick of the setup?

I would put phosphate remover and carbon in the FBR and run it from the beginning.
Hi Steve, Im not to keen on the carbon.

My understanding is that it wil temove beneficial chemicals as well as bad ones. How long do you run your carbon?

Excellent!!! Mekaeel

Ive got a small FBR, how much carbon does one add for 250 litre setup and how often must it be repolaced?

2 weeks!!! again that hole in pocket is growing bigger....:(

I've added carbon two days ago and the water is sparkling clean, :) so the extra expense is worth the pennies. Can you recommend a few brands that is good.

thanks guys. Mackael you reckon that the DSB is big enough. Won't the fluidized filter just give a lttle help it also has carbon, zeolite or phosphate removing capabilities. Schyffs I'm working on a camera to take the pics mine went swimming last timwe I tried LESSON LEARNT!!!!!! Anyone else have input or suggestions?

Copy Miki on the above. The flow through carbon should also be a trickle and not flow.

CaCO3, its important that your DSB works on its own. It should have at least 100mm of suitable sand for use in DSB's to ensure both aerobic and anaerobic filtration. All other add-ons such as a fluidized bed reactor is only complimenting. I would rather put the carbon or phosphate or other substate in the FBR to perform another function on your system.

agreed!you just want the carbon to move very slightly,not like a washing machnie ;)

Ive just turned the spin cycle off :lol: thanks!!!

CaCO3, its important that your DSB works on its own. It should have at least 100mm of suitable sand for use in DSB's to ensure both aerobic and anaerobic filtration. All other add-ons such as a fluidized bed reactor is only complimenting. I would rather put the carbon or phosphate or other substate in the FBR to perform another function on your system.

Basically what I meant, I think the Phosphate remover is important from the beginning, initially you could possibly do without the carbon but eventually I would use it also. I would rather use the carbon than a skimmer, which also removes trace elements if it is working properly.

Back
Top Bottom