DIY LED HELP

The only reason I do this is for the love of the hobby and not to make money out of it, I have a job which covers my expenses so why rip fellow reefers and guys in the hobby off.
Thank you for helping out fellow hobbyists, I'm going to be following this thread too

I now know where to look if I need some LEDs made:m106:

Design complete, just led placement and wiring diagram to do then all done. Added mounting bracket to swivel to "point" inwards to tank. Also added additional multipin plug to connect 2 LED Bars together yet running off one LED Controller and PSU!

PDF 3D click on default and then click on image and rotate and zoom to view any angle.

Attachments

• LED Bar Daisy Number 2.pdf
    185.1 KB · Views: 134
Design complete, just led placement and wiring diagram to do then all done. Added mounting bracket to swivel to "point" inwards to tank. Also added additional multipin plug to connect 2 LED Bars together yet running off one LED Controller and PSU!

PDF 3D click on default and then click on image and rotate and zoom to view any angle.
That is just genius @Royden Church

Update:

Colour distribution of 1 LED Bar, please note this is an estimate coverage using 60 Deg Lenses for depth of tank.

Attachments

• LED Bar 1200mm - Light Distrubution Model (1).pdf
    21.2 KB · Views: 139
Update:

Colour distribution of 1 LED Bar, please note this is an estimate coverage using 60 Deg Lenses for depth of tank.
Do I read it correct as the lights/led unit gives a 800mm spread at the bottom (688mm down) of the tank? Impressive unit. @Royden Church I am next in line to see if you can replicate the ufo8300. I've got two but need a 3rd one.

Hi Guys !

Hoping that someone can assist or point me in the right direction:
I'm currently running 2x 150w (12K), and 1x 250w (16K) metal halides over my mixed reef. I would like to see more fluorescence from my corals and would like to add a light bar to achieve this. I do have a load of 3w Led's with Meanwell drivers and a Boost Led controller, but my knowledge of electronics is non-existent.
I've contacted one of the guys in P.E. to build me a unit, but unfortunately he's unwilling to do so without PAR readings.
Is there maybe someone that would be willing to build me a light bar (using what I have or completely new)??

Thanks !!!
Hi Duppie, far as I know, this is the first question anybody that has the best interest of your tank inhabitants at heart SHOULD ask. If you are indeed looking to add lights to existing lights it is not just logical but imperative to find out what your existing lights are pushing out. A sudden spike in light output on your tank and followed by sustained new levels that have not been correctly calculated could kill your corals.
I'm the last person to claim expert status in this regard but I'd do some research before letting anyone that wouldn't ask this fundamental question throw a light bar together for me. Just my opinion. Hope you get what your tank actually needs, bro. Cheers.

Hi Duppie, far as I know, this is the first question anybody that has the best interest of your tank inhabitants at heart SHOULD ask. If you are indeed looking to add lights to existing lights it is not just logical but imperative to find out what your existing lights are pushing out. A sudden spike in light output on your tank and followed by sustained new levels that have not been correctly calculated could kill your corals.
I'm the last person to claim expert status in this regard but I'd do some research before letting anyone that wouldn't ask this fundamental question throw a light bar together for me. Just my opinion. Hope you get what your tank actually needs, bro. Cheers.
Literally the first thing that came up when I looked online.

Literally the first thing that came up when I looked online.

@Canudiggit ,Its not just a matter of throwing a LED bar together!!!! It takes hours of calculations and knowing what is what regarding light spectrums and lumens!

These are fully adjustable and slowly over a period of time be integrated into the existing system and not just a matter of blasting at 100% output! THIS IS CALLED ACCLIMATION! Any decent LED light assembly has this function in the software!

@Canudiggit ,Its not just a matter of throwing a LED bar together!!!! It takes hours of calculations and knowing what is what regarding light spectrums and lumens!

These are fully adjustable and slowly over a period of time be integrated into the existing system and not just a matter of blasting at 100% output! THIS IS CALLED ACCLIMATION! Any decent LED light assembly has this function in the software!
Which is precisely why PAR was requested in the first place. Or was it assumed this was just for interest sake. Without unnecessary upper case or exclamations I'll give a really simple example. You want to correct salinity... first thing you do is measure what it is now and only then can adjustment be made or however many hours you spend calculating you don't have half the equation. Please feel free to yell and exclaim at me while you explain how flawed my logic is.

I knew the PAR issue was going to pop up sometime. Here is one of the better explanation on lighting for our reefs. As can be seen, corals can handle PAR values much higher than we can add to our tanks. The most important factor will be acclimatising slowly, just like Royden said.

I knew the PAR issue was going to pop up sometime. Here is one of the better explanation on lighting for our reefs. As can be seen, corals can handle PAR values much higher than we can add to our tanks. The most important factor will be acclimatising slowly, just like Royden said.

I'm sure your light is going to look very stunning.. @Royden Church drawings look amazing :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom