Comp: DIY Equipment Competition

Hails

Sponsor
Reaction score
Show us your homemade aquarium equipment (protein skimmers, reactors, lighting solutions for example) to enter the competition and stand a chance to win the following Orca Labs prize sponsored by Aquaholics SA (www.aquaholics-sa.co.za):

1 x box of Reef X-TRA-X Amino Cubes
1 x 250ml Phospha-Guard Bio-Cubes
1 x 250g KalkPLUS
1 x 250ml StrontiumPLUS

Competition rules:

Only one photo is required per person to enter
The prize will be couriered within the borders of South Africa
Closing date for entries is the end of January 2024.

163e4ed755c09f.jpg

Diy algae reactor.

Attachments

• IMG_7699.jpeg
    IMG_7699.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 52
Diy Led bar

55cm long

Reused an old sobo light for the heatsink with 4x 40mm fans

3D printed the casing and cut some clear acrylic that bolts to casing with foam seal

18 total 3 watt leds (royal blue, blue, cyan, violet, ultra violet) paired with 90 degree lenses

Reused and old qmaven and some buck converters to be able to set custom time periods and brightness for diy bar and light in sump

Attachments

• IMG_6061.jpeg
    IMG_6061.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 60
DIY retrofitted cheato refugium. 3 sided white Perspex box. Slides between two existing baffles in the sump. The side glass of the sump is the viewing window. Light above sits on a removable glass panel. Water flows through the bottom grid, up and over the next baffle as per the sump design but through a smaller grid.

Attachments

• IMG_7609.jpeg
    IMG_7609.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 53
This was my Covid Lockdown attempt at a DIY T5 /LED hybrid light fixture. It was build on the design of the Aquatic life t5 / LED hybrid that was available on Amazon. But I refused to pay that much to import one. So I build one myself.

Build the frame from Aluminium tubes, with self bended galvanised plates covered in reflective tape as light deflectors. Used watertight T5 bulb holders and power supplies from 2x Dual T5 39W Oddesy light fixtures. Ran it on Sonoff WiFi timers for the t5 side. Used ATI bulbs. The LED’s were 2x AI Prime HD’s. Sadly the tank suffered a crash due to corral putty I used to stick down frags went bad. PS. I still have this light in my workshop for future builds.

Attachments

• 3216b143-dce3-4150-8efb-b18a6c39e830.jpeg
    3216b143-dce3-4150-8efb-b18a6c39e830.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
DIY retrofitted cheato refugium. 3 sided white Perspex box. Slides between two existing baffles in the sump. The side glass of the sump is the viewing window. Light above sits on a removable glass panel. Water flows through the bottom grid, up and over the next baffle as per the sump design but through a smaller grid.

IMG_8227.jpeg

All wonderful entries! Please could everyone take the time to click like on your favourite entry. The entry with the most likes at 12h00 on 9 February 2024 will be our winner!

Last edited:
Congratulations @Ridwan for winning the competition. Please PM me your details for the prize to be couriered to you.
Good day everyone

I would like to express my sincere gratitude for selecting me as a winner in the recent competition. Winning such a prestigious prize has truly been an unexpected and delightful surprise!

As a marine tank lover and owner this prize holds special significance for me. I am eagerly looking forward to exploring and utilizing these products, which I am certain will enrich my own experience.

I am honored to be a part of this community.

Once again, I extend my heartfelt appreciation to you and the entire masa family.

Back
Top Bottom