Dildafex's glass box

Reaction score
Thought it was time to share my experience with you guys. I've been in the fish keeping hobby for around 26 years, mainly bathwater and more specifically cichlids. At a time I had around 15 tanks spread around my parents house. When I moved out and got married my goal was to have two monster biotope tanks and one medium mixed reef tank. I setup a 1000l south american tank which was my pride and joy, along with a 250l african setup and 250l fowlr tank. After cracks, leaks and many floods my wife decided to put her foot down and subdued my obsession to one tank. Since I had spent the most time and resources on my saltwater, that's the one I decided to stick with.

I'm a diy fanatic and I always try something once before I get the pros to do it. That being said I learnt a lot with my first tank, the do's and dont's. The tank was not drilled so I built one of those pvc overflow jobs I eventually called Satan's suck hole. I still cry sometimes at night with the number of chromis I lost to that thing. I topped off with tap water, so always struggled with algae, nitrates and phos. Eventually we planned on building a new house and with that came plans for a new tank. I promised myself I would do my best at creating the coolest environment for my critters creatures and minions.

So onto the setup. It's a standard shop bought 250l. Drilled it myself with a 40mm overflow that branches out to two sumps. Main sump is a 100l tank, sock, Skimmer curve 5, to live rock from the previous tank with heater, sediment sponge in the last baffle, then return and ato (which is diy from a 10l drum gravity fed to a toilet valve). Second sump is media first (carbon, purigen, sponges) to a planned refugium. Last compartment is a hospital/quarintine setup. My return goes up into a diy return box, built out of odds and ends at home. A square pvc gutter with end caps, drilled two holes and attached old cannister filter elbow valves on, can move them around to where I want flow. My display has diy built rock (Portland, agronite, calcium carbonate, pool filter sand, rock salt, sea salt, crushed shells), I really enjoyed doing this and I think it came out looking great. My old lights were diy leds but moved over to two zetlight za1201l. I have a dual t5 unit but hanging it looks a bit unsightly so I'm sticking with the zetlights so long.
Live stock includes some hermits, some shrimps, my two clowns, fire goby, a Sgt major (who I've had for 3 years with no issues so far) and as of this weekend somehow got two tiny fish that hitchiked on a water change. Also added my first coral, sold as a hammer but I'm pretty sure it's a frogspawn. My plan is to gradually add some more livestock and lps, it will be strickly lps coral for now while I gain more experience. And also to get the refugium going by the end of the month. Sorry for the long winded intro, but man I love a good backstory.

Old tank and build pics
FB_IMG_1547485493623.jpg
_20190114_195444.JPG
_20190114_195515.JPG
_20190114_195539.JPG
_20190114_195606.JPG
_20190114_195013.JPG
_20190114_195315.JPG
_20190114_195332.JPG
_20190114_195357.JPG

Reaction score
I can’t believe the difference between the first pic and the last one! Very impressive!

RiaanP

Reaction score
Last picture looks good. :thumbup1:

Access to the middle tank is a bit awkward. But that is a great use of normally unused space.

A wooden stand is not something we see around here often. Were are you based if I may ask?

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I went wooden because I can add and adjust as needed. I waterproofed it quite well but only time will tell if it handles.

Based in East London.

Reaction score
So evaporation has taken its toll. Normally I would go through 10 liters of RO every 2 weeks, but we looking at 5 days now. So I decided to replace my mesh cover with optical glass we get at work. As my local what'sapp group pointed out, salt creep would be a problem, but I tend to keep good husbandry on my tank, so I've been cleaning the sheets every evening when I feed. Looks like it's helped a lot, still got over 5 liters from Sunday. Refugium is still empty, can't source cheato yet.
_20190124_174819.JPG

Reaction score
Nice build dude, got some great DIY skills there! You can pop passed me any time, have loads of chaeto for you!