Considering career move.

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I need some help/info.

I have been offered a promotion. The problem is it is at Grootvlei Power Station (One of those coming out of mothballing). I unfortunately know nothing of the area. Google and Google Earth do not tell me much.

A couple things affect my decision. Is there a good primary school in the area? What is the possibility of a english school? My daughter would be ok with afrikaans but my son is just starting grade 1 next year and he would battle.
House prices in the area? Where would you buy a house if it was you? Grootvlei is about 40km south of Heidelburg.
Petshops in the area? :lol:

Any info would be much appreciated. They want an answer in the next few days.

Shees tough one.

I unfortunately know nothing of Grootvlei and can only say good luck.

sheesh thats hectic.all i can say is,all the best dude

Ha ha. No the last 2.0m is the max I will go for now. Wife will obviously lose her salary. But as a whitey male, even with 13 years experience this may be a chance I cannot afford to let slip. Once at the new level I will be a bad AA stat anyway so from there it become easier to move around.

Hill, that is on the middle of nowhere mate. There is a big prison there i think, and thats about it. My issue is entertainment - what do you do with the kids on the weekend etc. And its bloody cold there compared to EL.

Haha, nowhere for the kids to get up to no good on weekends :p

instead they will be smoking home made drugs, cooked from your own detergents

whoa buddy this is hectic......... mmmmm its a difficult one, on the plus side once you are up a notch you will have better scope in life but for how long can you weather the storm of being away from all of your family, (sister, dad etc..) and being in the middle of nowhere.....

id ask a few more questions about the place if i were you.. chat soon.

Yeah I know it is in the middle of nowhere. Some peace and quiet for a change. Anyway since Leslie has moved to Gonubie I am concerned the house prices here are going to drop drastically. :lol::lol: just kidding Les.

geez Shit has he??

man i gotta leave now!!

Wait a while and see if Kouga opens any doors. Heidelburg has no nsw, and anyway you have just got your tank going. My question is.. What happens once the station is up and running? The whities will just be needed to get it going, and then what? All these clever aa issues and policies will see you training up your replacement.

Sorry to be so negative, but if you uproot your family you need to be able to see the future. What are the crime stats? House prices? What can you get for your house?
The new credit act could have a BIG impact on your future purchase. It is not so easy to get a bond or loan anymore.
Good luck Hill.

Thanks Tom.

Some valid points. I will really miss the NSW. Will get a good price for my house. Getting loans through Eskom Finance Company is no problem.

Couga will have the same problems as I face now. I will be reviewing all the aspects of uprooting the family. Don't worry I have been thinking of this all the time.

I don't train replacements. :lol: Learnt that the hard way. New guy here a couple of years ago is now our manager. His car allowance is more than my pay.

On the plus point I will be closer to decent LFS's.

new zealand here i come!!

Thanks Galibore. But crime is a way of life here in SA. That could and does happen anywhere in SA. I just wonder if they have a higher percentage of crime. That is what you need to know.

Yup, I agree 100% Unfortunately that is true.

Yeah I know it is in the middle of nowhere. Some peace and quiet for a change. Anyway since Leslie has moved to Gonubie I am concerned the house prices here are going to drop drastically. :lol::lol: just kidding Les.

:y14:

Back
Top Bottom