Connecting sump to tl550

Reaction score
Hey so i need some advice.

I have a tl550 and wanted to add an external sump which i cant put a bigger skimmer in and possible dsb. So i currently have the sump and skimmer Ts2 but now im having some issues connecting the sump to the tank.

I initially planned on putting two pumps one in the tank and one in the sump but ive spoken to guys at the LFS and they all advised against it saying i should rather drill the tank. But currently i'd rather not drill my boyu. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how i could do this without drilling the tank?

Thanks
Kyle

If you can put your sump above your tank you can run water up with a pump and gravity feed it back to the tank. Really dont know about any other way of doing this

May be a silly question but why would you want an external sump in the first place? I have a TL550 and the internal setup works perfectly.

With a sump you can use a lot bigger and better skimmer, run more form of filtration, have a bigger water volume that helps with temp and parameters. All this helps for a more stable system and you can keep a bit more stock

If you can put your sump above your tank you can run water up with a pump and gravity feed it back to the tank. Really dont know about any other way of doing this

I saw someone else did this on MASA but the sump i have is 80l so pretty heavy to put it higher then the tank will be a bit of a mission

You get hang on the back overflow boxes that will allow you to connect to the sump below.

Awesome this is exactly what i was looking for

May be a silly question but why would you want an external sump in the first place? I have a TL550 and the internal setup works perfectly.

Yup pretty much as @Dian6430 said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys I get the rationale behind the more space and better filtration. Forgive my next comment when I say would this not be like putting a porsche motor in a beetle? Surely the time and effort would be better spent investing in a larger setup?

Lol yes as somewhere you will want to upgrade anyway. What a few people do is plumb the boyu into there bigger system and use it as a refugium and pod factory or put some pipefish in it etc. They do this as you buy the tank for over 5k and i see them going around 1.8k if you try and sell it

Forgive my next comment when I say would this not be like putting a porsche motor in a beetle?

You say that like it's a bad thing :)

I actually have just that on the drawing board and hope start the project next year - a karmann ghia rather than beetle, but close enough !

At the OP - let us know if you find a suitable HOB over flow that works with the 550. I'm in the same place at the moment. Want to get mine filled with salt water, but pondering adding a sump.

@red deacon. I'm planning on investing in a larger system. doing it in stages. so now I have my sump and skimmer. Tank will come in the new year ;) finances permitting.

And i kinda got the idea from your boyu thread @Brendan6 which i must say was very impressive.

@6x9base13. Saw a diy overflow made from acrylic I might try. So if it works i'll post some pics in the next month.

Last edited by a moderator:
You say that like it's a bad thing :)

I actually have just that on the drawing board and hope start the project next year - a karmann ghia rather than beetle, but close enough !

At the OP - let us know if you find a suitable HOB over flow that works with the 550. I'm in the same place at the moment. Want to get mine filled with salt water, but pondering adding a sump.

My take on these projects is simple - 99% of the time it would be cheaper going for the bigger option in the first place. Then again if it works for you who am I to criticise :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom