Connecting sump to tl550

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by KyleJ, 13 Sep 2014.

1. KyleJ

KyleJ

Hey so i need some advice.

I have a tl550 and wanted to add an external sump which i cant put a bigger skimmer in and possible dsb. So i currently have the sump and skimmer Ts2 but now im having some issues connecting the sump to the tank.

I initially planned on putting two pumps one in the tank and one in the sump but ive spoken to guys at the LFS and they all advised against it saying i should rather drill the tank. But currently i'd rather not drill my boyu. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how i could do this without drilling the tank?

Thanks
    Kyle

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dian6430

Dian6430

If you can put your sump above your tank you can run water up with a pump and gravity feed it back to the tank. Really dont know about any other way of doing this

4. Mewik

Mewik

You get hang on the back overflow boxes that will allow you to connect to the sump below.

5. red deacon

red deacon

May be a silly question but why would you want an external sump in the first place? I have a TL550 and the internal setup works perfectly.

shaunn likes this.
  6. Dian6430

Dian6430

With a sump you can use a lot bigger and better skimmer, run more form of filtration, have a bigger water volume that helps with temp and parameters. All this helps for a more stable system and you can keep a bit more stock

7. Mewik

Mewik

And you can remove the built in filter making the display area much larger

8. KyleJ

KyleJ Thread Starter

I saw someone else did this on MASA but the sump i have is 80l so pretty heavy to put it higher then the tank will be a bit of a mission

Awesome this is exactly what i was looking for

Yup pretty much as @Dian6430 said.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. red deacon

red deacon

Thanks guys I get the rationale behind the more space and better filtration. Forgive my next comment when I say would this not be like putting a porsche motor in a beetle? Surely the time and effort would be better spent investing in a larger setup?

10. Dian6430

Dian6430

Lol yes as somewhere you will want to upgrade anyway. What a few people do is plumb the boyu into there bigger system and use it as a refugium and pod factory or put some pipefish in it etc. They do this as you buy the tank for over 5k and i see them going around 1.8k if you try and sell it

11. Brendan6

Brendan6

I added an upflow sump to my boyu and it worked awesomely.

12. 6x9base13

6x9base13

You say that like it's a bad thing :)

I actually have just that on the drawing board and hope start the project next year - a karmann ghia rather than beetle, but close enough !

At the OP - let us know if you find a suitable HOB over flow that works with the 550. I'm in the same place at the moment. Want to get mine filled with salt water, but pondering adding a sump.

13. KyleJ

KyleJ Thread Starter

@red deacon. I'm planning on investing in a larger system. doing it in stages. so now I have my sump and skimmer. Tank will come in the new year ;) finances permitting.

And i kinda got the idea from your boyu thread @Brendan6 which i must say was very impressive.

@6x9base13. Saw a diy overflow made from acrylic I might try. So if it works i'll post some pics in the next month.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. Brendan6

Brendan6

Thanks dude. Hope you come right.

15. red deacon

red deacon

My take on these projects is simple - 99% of the time it would be cheaper going for the bigger option in the first place. Then again if it works for you who am I to criticise :biggrin:

Recent Posts