collection spots, KZN north coast

Discussion in 'Reef Hunters' started by wukkie, 9 Dec 2009.

1. wukkie

wukkie

Hi Guys

I am looking for some spots for collection on teh KZN north coast. Areas, richards bay, and a bit further north and south.
    any ideas woudl be good.
    Please note that I don't know the area at all.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

it would help if i know were you are going the spots are far apart from each other.

4. wukkie

wukkie Thread Starter

Well at this stage, anywhere. I do not have a set route planned.
    Was thinking of driving down from the north towards durban, maybe only goign as far as Richards Bay.

5. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

it's best if you stay south from Richards Bay there is not a lot of places to collect legally anyway

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

First of Wukkie there's alot to consider on this trip first of all what dates were u looking at going - once u got that then we can help you looking at a tide chart to see what time you must go to the beach - then u can decide from where you staying what time u must leave to get to those spots - considering north of Durbs u going to have about 5 hours of coastline to cover to Richards bay and you only got 6 good hours looking in rock pools at low tide - u got quite a mission dude!

7. magman

magman

Chikaboo said it all......mission rocks dude!!!!!!:yeahdude:

8. wukkie

wukkie Thread Starter

Hi, I am looking to take a long weekend, over the new year. Leave JHB on the night of the 30, get to the teh coast line on the 31. I do not have a place to stay as yet, but then again only really need to find a place where I can have a bath or shower. I can sleep in the back of my jeep. This is where i sleep when I stop on the drive down. I am looking to come down the coast from teh st lucia side, towards richards bay. Not looking to do teh whole coast line. Happy to just find one stop and stya there for 2 days. then home again.

The GF and I are a bit mad at time, we have been to sodwana just for the day,so teh dogs could run on the beach, then back home agian.

9. wukkie

wukkie Thread Starter

Where is mission rocks, are there place near by to stay.

10. wukkie

wukkie Thread Starter

am I allowed to collect at mission rocks with the permit.

11. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Not too far away from St Lucia. Just North of it. You can/should find accommodation in the St Lucia area ;)

12. wukkie

wukkie Thread Starter

I am looking at the moment on teh net for places to stay, woudl be good to get camping. even better would be to find a place that allows pets. even if it is further south. I don't mind a drive up to mission rocks for a day visit.
    any idea's of these places would help, names and number if you have.
    thanks guys

13. chikaboo

chikaboo

Here's some tide charts courtesy of SATIDES (Ocean Rhythm - visually integrated tidal, solar and lunar rhythms) Also try Accommodation in South Africa - Where To Stay - should help with accommodation or even The Backpack and Africa Travel Centre - Backpackers Hostel Accommodation Cape Town South Africa - good luck buddy! Dont forget to share some pics....

Richards Bay - Thu Dec 31 2009
    Low 0.42m@09:23 0.33m@21:52
    Hi 1.95m@03:20 2.09m@15:37
    Sunrise 04:57 Sunset 18:52
    Moonrise 18:47 Moonset 04:10

[​IMG]

Richards Bay - Fri Jan 01 2010
    Low 0.32m@10:07 0.22m@22:33
    Hi 2.1m@04:04 2.16m@16:20
    Sunrise 04:58 Sunset 18:53
    Moonrise 19:40 Moonset 05:21

[​IMG]

Richards Bay - Sat Jan 02 2010
    Low 0.29m@10:51 0.19m@23:13
    Hi 2.18m@04:46 2.16m@17:02
    Sunrise 04:58 Sunset 18:53
    Moonrise 20:27 Moonset 06:33

[​IMG]

14. wukkie

wukkie Thread Starter

thanks

15. Wolve

Wolve

sorry for the thread hi-jack here but i will be on leave from tomorrow and was thinking i should go look fo some stuff on monday, checked the tides and it seems low tide is at midday, enough time to get up in the morning. is there any spots the local guys would recomend for some nice coloured zoas, and some tube worms and stuff, was thinking maybe ballito or so

16. dv8

dv8

i hear vetchies is a good spot to go to, but i'm from P E so i don't realy know for sure. i'll be going out there today at about 10 as low tide is at 10:39. is vetchies by the pier?

17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi DV8 - Vetchies Pier is actually a sunken "pier" that was built MANY MANY years ago. It has become a reef now. There's a SCUBA shop right at the beach, close to the entrance to the UShaka Marine World.

The dive spot for Vetchies Pier is actually slightly to the right, and I think about 50 metres' swim out. I is a shallow dive - +-5 to 8 metres (or snorkel for you ;))...

Ask at the dive shop - tell them that you want to go snorkel there - and they will direct you precisely where to go. Perhaps you can even ask them if you can snorkel out with one of their dive groups. I am quite sure that they would not mind.

18. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

Thats a good plan Jacquesb BUT! if you go out with the scuba shop oks dont catch fish they will freak!

19. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

LOL - no - you just go OUT with them. Once you there, and know WHERE the reef is - you break away from the group ;)
    You then do your own thing! LOL!

20. Aqua spirit Ahmed

Aqua spirit Ahmed

Vetchies producing atm if you swim towards the end of the reef itself there's a huge rock on the forehead often protruding out of the water at low tide,its known as diamond rock,once you get there,swim directly across the sand channel heading straight,after about 25 to 30m ahead you'l reach the 1st shelves of limestone reef,5 to 8m deep, further out is the outer shelves at times can drop to 12m to 15m this is where you likely to get gems,please note this area is often sanded as you reach the bottom and is frequented by lotsa flat fish right now so if you scuba there please becareful,it makes for a breathtaking scenic dive for spearo's and aquarist's alike your best chances to get clean water is during or after a light lenghty south wester wind

21. Aqua spirit Ahmed

Aqua spirit Ahmed

Now that i told you where to find the gems i'd love to have you guys company

Recent Posts