Chiller Down

Reaction score
This is a sad, sad day for me, first my Cybershot, then the day before yesterday my Nokia N95 and to top everything off: My Chiller!!!!

This is what happens if a Chiller decides to bomb out and heat your water in record time:

Before shot:

06MarchFullTank.jpg

After Shot:

IMG_1925.jpg

Before:

Halftank23Feb08.jpg

After:

IMG_1931.jpg

Before:

CanonCloseup.jpg

After:

IMG_1928.jpg

I want to thank Sims for offering his Chiller to me last night to help until my Chiller gets back from Marco, but it was too late as all my Frogspawns, hammers, Torch Corals, Fox Corals (In fact- all my Lps) has already died last night.

There was also a couple of Softies as well as a lot of personal collected Corals which did not make it.

Thank you also to Herkie for taking some pieces to his tank to hopefully get them to grow again- but I doubt it....

Sorry guys, but I am definately not a happy Chappie at this point in time .

Thank you to Kwagijima (their Director(Pat)) who helped speed up the delivery process of the Broken Chiller to Marco

Last edited by a moderator:
sean don't know what to say except hang in there man, extremely sorry for your loss

i can't believe the extent of the damage... how long did this take to happen?

Hi Sean - My sincerest thoughts are with you at this time in life. It seems that it is a short period of "bad luck" for more than one of us. I have had a HUGE loss with many fish dying. I know the heart-sore and the terrible feeling. BUT, bud, we need to stand together and BEAT this thing! I am SO glad to have a wonderful, supporting, and understanding wife. At some stage I will be able to recover. It will just take TIME. Which I am sure we both have enough of. Even though our lives are ticking on - we CAN recover. We just need patience..... I know you don't have a lot of THAT.... BUT, in times of need, you will develop patience... I KNOW YOU WILL... Even if you don't think so....

We as humans seems to be more resilient than you think. Take into account - Sol Krezner started over MANY MANY times, before he made it as a millionaire.... IF he can overcome terrible loss, so can we!

Just take it a MINUTE at a time bud.... A minute at a time... Don't let the darkness get you down!!!!

Just keep your chin up - and GO ON! GO ON Sean.... we don't have a choice .... MARCH ON SOLDIER! :)

Cheers, mate!

Hi Sean - My sincerest thoughts are with you at this time in life. It seems that it is a short period of "bad luck" for more than one of us. I have had a HUGE loss with many fish dying. I know the heart-sore and the terrible feeling. BUT, bud, we need to stand together and BEAT this thing! I am SO glad to have a wonderful, supporting, and understanding wife. At some stage I will be able to recover. It will just take TIME. Which I am sure we both have enough of. Even though our lives are ticking on - we CAN recover. We just need patience..... I know you don't have a lot of THAT.... BUT, in times of need, you will develop patience... I KNOW YOU WILL... Even if you don't think so....

We as humans seems to be more resilient than you think. Take into account - Sol Krezner started over MANY MANY times, before he made it as a millionaire.... IF he can overcome terrible loss, so can we!

Just take it a MINUTE at a time bud.... A minute at a time... Don't let the darkness get you down!!!!

Just keep your chin up - and GO ON! GO ON Sean.... we don't have a choice .... MARCH ON SOLDIER! :)

Cheers, mate!

I can't beat that Sean, so what he said, all the best buddy, hang in there.

So sorry Sean. Can help you with a hammer and montipora when you start to restock

Oooowwwwwww!!
Hell Sean, sorry for the loss man, the one thing with this site, we all feel your pain. The other thing i know is we have all had set backs in this hobby and most of us bounce back and do it better each time. Now i know how passionate you are about the hobby, so i have no doubt you will be bouncing back very soon as you are a true hobbyist.

Sean, I don't know what to say my friend.

Sorry to see this happen.

Jacques, kind and comforting words, thank you. Same to you Wee-Man, Bruce, Sunburst, Alan and Dean...

The problem is to see stuff dying and you cannot do anything about that, then, I suppose the biggest problem of all is to be able to replace the Corals again. As you can all remember my previous pleads from Sponsors regarding specific Corals I want- It took months to get them and am still waiting for more than 3/4 of them, so my main Concern is to be able to stock up again.

What I would like to know:

Is there any means of an alarm/buzzer system I can buy/Install to warn us of an increase in temperature, as this has happened at night while everyone was sleeping.(I do not trust a Chiller anymore)

Also, an alarm/buzzer that can be connected to the sump if the auto top up is kicking in...(so we can know every time Ro water gets pumped into sump)

3rdly- an Alarm/ Buzzer that sounds if you have a flood, maybe something you can put on the floor in front of the sump that makes a sound as soon as the floor is becoming wet.

Any of the above mentioned 03 items- I will stand first in line to buy them (Where's our Electronic Experts??)

P.S.
Strange how corals (especially LPS) can "cook" to death in a matter of hours and Aptaisia and Cyano flourish- if only those buggers also cooked to death.....

Not to sure if this information is still relevant, but i believe that dosing with iodine can help stop and reverse bleaching events.
The normal disciplines would obviously apply. Namely water changes :( and carbon.

I am sure there is a temp warning alarm otherwise we could wire one up using industrial equipment, may work out expensive.
You could connect an alarm to your auto top up switch and that will tell you when the ro is filling. You could use that as a flood alarm as well as it will rum continuously if you are flooding.

Sean, sheesh I dont know what to say, I have a lump in my throat as I sit here, but like everyone has said, you will be back with a vengeance.

Until then we are thinking of you

You could use that as a flood alarm as well as it will rum continuously if you are flooding.
:lol:

Can you get the beer continuously option.

Tank computer can send you an sms at preset intervals...ie pH, temp, redox etc. Can also be linked to your pc, if you travel a lot, can be accessed via the net. Full remote control possible. Complete peace of mind... an incredible tool

Not to sure if this information is still relevant, but i believe that dosing with iodine can help stop and reverse bleaching events.
The normal disciplines would obviously apply. Namely water changes :( and carbon.

Yip Sunburst, just finished doing carbon and filterfloss change, as well as reconnecting Ro auto top up. Hope tonight all will go well

I am sure there is a temp warning alarm otherwise we could wire one up using industrial equipment, may work out expensive.
You could connect an alarm to your auto top up switch and that will tell you when the ro is filling. You could use that as a flood alarm as well as it will rum continuously if you are flooding.
Alan, I am very interested in this as I am not always at home, and this will at least warn the servants/wife etc if this happens. Please keep me updated on any of the ones you've mentioned if you can find out more. The Chiller is arriving tomorrow afternoon, I am not going to take more chances as to rely on equipment, as all the problems seem to appear when I am not at home or at night when we sleep

Sean, sheesh I dont know what to say, I have a lump in my throat as I sit here, but like everyone has said, you will be back with a vengeance.

Until then we are thinking of you

Kanga, thanks, I am still sitting here with tears in my eyes (more likely tears of frustration). I will definately start over with a vengeance, starting with all the alarms/buzzers/bells/indicator lights I can find (to be connected to just about every single piece of equipment in the Engine room, including all the stuff that can overflow- as this has also happened last week when the filterfloss decided not to let any water through to the return Compartment-, eg., Protein Skimmers, sumps, display tanks etc.)

The main problem however, will probably be to get my hands on some big pieces of Coral again.

I have done just about everything else I could last week to improve the tank, but yes, never foreseen a Chiller packing up and making hot water instead of cold water

:lol:

Can you get the beer continuously option.

Tank computer can send you an sms at preset intervals...ie pH, temp, redox etc. Can also be linked to your pc, if you travel a lot, can be accessed via the net. Full remote control possible. Complete peace of mind... an incredible tool

More looking for something that can warn me specifically about floods, temp, other stuff need to be tested manually- otherwise we take the fun out of Reefkeeping...:lol:

Back
Top Bottom