Chaeto as the main nutrient exporter

Reaction score
Hi all
So Im about to set up a new 500l system. It will be heavely stocked and extremely overfed. Id been musing over filtration when I came across these videos .
Watch the second one for the results mentioned bellow...
So the experiment is bassically set up so that in the tank, besides the circulation pump, there was no filtration equipment, i.e skimmer,reacter etc The tank was empty in terms of livestock but fed a cube of misis a day (so overfed). The only form of nutrient export was a ball of chaetomorpha placed under adequit lighting within the tank itself. The tank was then allowed to stand for a couple of months( with mysis cube added daily). The results where quite amazing too me. In all but one of the 4 setups. Nitrates and phosphates where 0 and there was a complete absence of filementous or hair algea from the tank, despite it being well lit and well fed.

Thus based on this experiment Id like to try this out as the only filtration besides a bayo skimmer in my new setup. The cheato will be under a 20w 6500k led floodlight I got from builders.

Feel free to add you 2 cents...

Last edited:
I also added a ball of Cheato to my sump a week ago after watching the very same videos. Just need to add decent light to getting ir growing.

I feel that if you want to have success with cheato as a main nutrient exporter, you will need a much more powerful led that has a more directional reflector or lense. Also, in those BRS videos they fail to mention the importance of iron and how it can be a limiting factor in chaeto's growth. So I would dose an iron supplement too. Also make sure the chaeto has good flow around it.

Chaeto is powerful...
Have a look at the chaeto reactors with LED strips...Quite impressed..Pitty, we don't have SKIMZ in the country anymore...They make an awesome Chaeto reactor..

Chaeto is powerful...
Have a look at the chaeto reactors with LED strips...Quite impressed..Pitty, we don't have SKIMZ in the country anymore...They make an awesome Chaeto reactor..

Just DIY Them!!

IMG_4507.JPG
IMG_4511.JPG
IMG_4513.JPG

yip, used to be called Skiffy.
They rebranded into Essentra

You can order just one
But it is more expensive. Just a random part

Part number: 0270340000VR
Wing Screws with Washer - Natural Nylon 6.6

Order quantityPrice each
RedStock.gif
(1 +)R 86.1200
RedStock.gif
(25 +)R 43.0600
RedStock.gif
(125 +)R 21.5200
RedStock.gif
(250 +)(Standard Pack Qty)R 13.8300

i called them yesterday because i also need some screws for a reactor....you need to do minimum order of R400

Back
Top Bottom