Brent's Cube

Maybe try run one of the low micron red sea filter socks and stir up the dust. Looking good otherwise.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I've noticed the finer powder-like aragonite has been moved slowly out of the skimmer thanks to the wavemaker keeping it in suspension for the skimmer to get it. I've added two Ocelaris and some Zoas, green montipora, an acro, Acanthastrea spp., Micromussa amakusensis and some CUC. Will post pictures once everything starts to settle.

Last edited:
Thanks, It's slowly getting there. Nice to see I'm getting some nice coral growth over the last few weeks.

Maintenance has been fairly easy...
I do a water change one a week of 10L (~25%).
I dose about 2.5g of bicarb a week (spread over twice daily doses) to maintain alk at about 8.4. I do the same for Mg, using about 10g per week.
I dose about 4ml of kalk per week in the top up water.
I clean the glass three times a week.
I clean the skimmer and power head once every two weeks.
I pull out the live rock box and rinse the live rock in a bucket.
I change the filter sock once a week.
I replace 60ml of GFO weekly and same for carbon.
That's pretty much it I guess...

What's quite nice is that my lowest energy areas are actually in my sump, so that is where the detritus collects. When I do my water changes I siphon all the water out along with the detritus. I also rinse my live rock in fresh water, which collects detritus.

So far so good. My parameters are stable and I have no algae issues.

I've been so bad with updating this thread. A new job, finishing up a PhD, a commercial divers course, and a baby thrown in the mix for good measure have made it fairly difficult.

I'd like to take pics with a camera after a good clean of the tank, but for now, and before I forget, here's a few cellphone photos.

Things are growing nicely, and I'm happy with the progress. I've got plans to plumb this tank to another set up that will be a bonzai mangrove/ lagoon biotype with a small frag tank alongside. I am really enjoying this nano style reefing. I am impatient, and these small tanks are easy to populate with livestock, and are far cheaper than larger tanks. The maintenance is less than a quarter (in terms of money and time) than of my previous 4ft tank. If I had the money, I don't think I'd go bigger, I'm just not interested in investing more time into the hobby. Ten mins a day or less is all I've got to give here, and weekends maybe an hour including washing skimmer and pumps etc.

Anyway, 36 litres is enough for me.

Colonies have a lot to grow still so I'm excited to see how things progress...

Isn't there a button to double like:lol: amazing work there nice and full tank I love how the nennie just sit there in the center with coral right around great work once agen

Thanks so much @ReeferBray, much appreciated. Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow to get some lekker pictures up.

Main issue now is that I'm currently battling with keeping the aragonite clean. I am not able to siphon with a sand cleaner because there is not enough space to do so. I may just suck it all out the tank and just fill the bottom with montipora, GSP, Zoas or I don't know. I will probably wait for the extra water volume coming in the future with the frag/ mangrove tank before I remove any sand. That's some way off though.

Another possible issue I am already having is shading and PAR. I think I might need to upgrade to an AI prime HD. Don't have any money for that yet though.

Most importantly, I have no UPS system.....

For now it's nice to look at and I'm happy.

Just cleaned the tank now. Here's a dumpie bottle for size comparison. Told you the tank is small

Attachments

• IMG_20190511_181732.jpg
    IMG_20190511_181732.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 88
Yes talk about a ups I'll need one soon aswell for its loadshedding time and on the prime hd go for it I love my light even though I'm struggling to get it set up

Good looking tank. Like it fully stocked.
Nano tanks are nice and easy to maintain, both financially nd time wise like you said. I've also got a 36l set up that I'm enjoying slot, haven't updated my thread for a while though. I'm in the process of upgrading to a 100l set up, I'll just transfer everything once it's done.

Almost 100% clean now. Just a bit bleak at how dusty the red sea sand is... I'll have to slowly remove the fine dust with my sand cleaner over the next few weeks. As soon as I stick my hand in the tank, it just goes murky again. Never had this problem with my previous tank. Oh Well, nothing I can do now but slowly clean it.

Take a look at my back pane, full of aragonite dust!!!!!
Honestly a REALLY cool piece of rock that

Back
Top Bottom