Boyu TL550

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by Kevin, 11 Dec 2008.

1. Kevin

Kevin

Howzit,

My plans for my big tank are on hold at the moment, so in the mean time I got a TL550. I am setting it up tomorrow night. Getting some LR tomorrow.

Does the LR go straight on the floor of the tank or on top of the substrate? I have read various books and they all suggest different things.

Bit confused, would like some expert advise.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

That is entirely your decision whether you want sand/substrate in your tank or if you want to go bare bottom. Sand looks natural and you have a place for little critters to live and grow - bare bottom is cleaner in the sence that you can siphon out detritus that accumilates on the glass and you can up your flow without blowing sand everywhere.
    Unless you mean if it is better to put the LR on the glass and then put the sand around it or just put it on top of the sand? In that case I would rather put it on a piece of plastic, a stand or on the sand and not directly on the glass, because I would be scared of scratches and all that weight on a sharp point might just be bad news. My opinion anyway ;)

4. Kevin

Kevin Thread Starter

Cool, thanks.

My wife is going to be missing some tupperware lids :)

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

If you're going to have substrate in the tank then it is fine to put the rock on top of the substrate, raising it slightly like Tobes has said is a good idea if you want to do that.

6. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

It depends. Many people prefer to put the liverock directly on the glass, then add substrate after. That way if you have any burrowing inmates down the line your rockwork is stable no matter how they shift the substrate ;)

7. Kevin

Kevin Thread Starter

I think I am going to try and put the LR on some kind of support and then put the substrate arround.

Recent Posts