Any problems with SCWD

RiaanP

Reaction score
Im looking into using a SCWD Squid on the sump return. Did anybody experience any problems with this wave maker? It is real cheap compared to powerheads and controllers, so why do the LFS's not stock it? (My return pump is 2500l/h)
;) (Is it because they make a lot more $ selling expensive stuf?);)

Hi Riaan

The SCWD can sometimes be quite a cost effective solution for wavemaking. It's not *that* cheap though. Last time I checked I think they were around R350-400. They also rob quiet a bit of flow to drive the mechanism that switches sides. I think overall people are fairly happy with them but they can give problems where they "stick" and you have to undo all your plumbing trying to get them started again.

The cheapest form of wavemaker you can get now is a nice cheapy from china. Costs just over R100 and basically gives you 2 outlets and you set the time you want it to remain on each outlet then it alternates power between the 2. This can be used with powerheads or seios/boyu wavemakers etc.

Im looking into using a SCWD Squid on the sump return. Did anybody experience any problems with this wave maker? It is real cheap compared to powerheads and controllers, so why do the LFS's not stock it? (My return pump is 2500l/h)
;) (Is it because they make a lot more $ selling expensive stuf?);)

Very effective piece of equipment. I have two, both been driven by 2500l/hr. No problems. Hard to beat especially when used to return water from sump. Cannot understand why they are not found locally.

So do nobody else have any comments on SCWD squid or where I can get it?

I bought one and personally found them to be ineffective. I am not sure if it is just the one I got, but they really slow your flow rate when they swap over.. I removed mine after 2 days. The solution is to use an over rated return pump but this ment changing my pumps.

I got mine from a supplier in PE, if you want let me know and I will PM you the details, I think I paid around R250 for mine a year ago, IMO don't bother, they are a great idea but not effective, I also was not convinced that the product will last that long either so if you install one I would design the pipes so that you can monitor the flow easily on a daily basis.

Muz

I bought one and personally found them to be ineffective.
Were you ever able to quantify how ineffective

IMO don't bother, they are a great idea but not effective, I also was not convinced that the product will last that long either so if you install one I would design the pipes so that you can monitor the flow easily on a daily basis.

Muz
For somebody not using them, assumptions don't really add value to the question. By simply checking the return volume by timing how long a litre or two would take to fill should be easy enough. This is what i did on both of mine and found minimal loss. However with time the bacterial build up will impede flow... Like any pump... I blow mine out with a hose pipe and then soak in vinegar every 6 months. So far loss in volume is 180ml on 2500l/hr. Thats half a tea cup in an hour. No doubt the pumps have aged as well.

I used one for a few months, personally I think a 2500 l/hr pump is a bit too small, I used a 4500 l/hr pump and found it be just what I wanted :). I never had a days trouble with mine and will certainly be using one or maybe two of them on my next setup, in my opinion, a very effective way of creating alternating flow in a tank.

I don't want to highjack this thread but does anyone know where to buy one of these? I used one in the states and it work great. No problems at all.

they're awesome, i have 2 on my nano, each driven by a 2900l/h pump, they alternate about every 20 seconds an create very cool random flow from each of the corners in my nano, i've only ran them for about 2 weeks now so i can't comment on the reliability...

I know Eco Aquatics stocks them from time to time. But the chances are that you will have to order online.

...Hi everybody...i get very interested with the "miracle" SCWD and i can get one without problem but im just wondering how it's influence the water level in the place in sump where it's return pump...as i see U using the return pump connect to SCWD...in the sump just next to return pump there is osmolator which react with the water level...my question is...it's the water level stable there when use of SCWD or it's changing if the squid is switching to push the water to other pipe...??...Thanx for an answer...if i will get one of couse...Greatings...Raphael...

I used two of them since the startup of my tank, and never had problems with them. I put a seperate pump from the sump on each of them (5200lt/hour Resun pumps) and they worked like a dream. The random flow was good

Just remember to also put syphon breaks on each pipe to the scwd, otherwise you are going to flood your place

I am still running two... using two separate return pumps. No problems. I have never noticed any fluctuations in sump levels.

I've tried to get one but in our area no one knows what it is and when going to LFS in Joburg ot PTA they either look at you and ask what? or sorry where sold out. Do any one know where i can get one

Am tagging along as I am interested. I have a 5800l/hr return and don't think this will be a problem for me.

Hi...thabx everybody...DRK U can get one on USA ebay...in Europe there are only a few places U can buy it...the problem to me it's a powerfull pomp just for it...allready return pomp is taking lot of juice...and the extra watt can warm up the water...so i stil dont know what to do...i've started to build a sump and i will cut of the internal sump and im thinking what the best (mean watt friendly and powerfull pomp i can get)...for this moment im using new jet 2300l/h...

The SCWD sells for around 40$, That is R300. And that is from online shops after their mark-up
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/213231/product.web

Do you think our LFS shops are interested? If that can make a lot more on controllers and expensive special powerheads. I'm not saying that these controllers and powerheads are not good, but the price?

I already go a return pump. For extra about R300 I can convert that to a "wave". Yeah

And they can be used in a closed loop. Can handle up to 5000L/h

Even if the SCWD do not last and breaks down after 6 months. I can replace it 6 times same price as I would pay just for a controller. Think about that.

Back
Top Bottom