The Drop Off Tank !

I think you on the right train there - keeping the glass costs down and focusing on the tank itself - do you know what the tank in your pictures thickness is - would be nice just to have an idea of what ballpark we're think of here.

I think you on the right train there - keeping the glass costs down and focusing on the tank itself - do you know what the tank in your pictures thickness is - would be nice just to have an idea of what ballpark we're think of here.

ja i have been chatting to the owner for some time, hopefully over the weekend i will be able to give a run down of how i got to the thickness i chose, it was not a decision i made lightly and i really need to explain how i got to the final thickness before just throwing it out there :)

Cool setup dude!!! What will your coral list be like? Mixed and NPS as most drop-offs?

Cool setup dude!!! What will your coral list be like? Mixed and NPS as most drop-offs?

I am going to *try* to have a complete reef in the system, SPS at the top, LPS and softies below.... i am confident my designed filtration will take care of the obvious problems with this..... NPS is definately an option but i dont think i will have a lot of NPS. My lighting should enable me to happily keep LPS and softies at the bottom of the drop off

Whats the plans on flow and x turnover, within the main DT?

external pumps controlling closed loop systems turnover Est to be in the 30x mark although we are looking at using some sort of thermal difference to cause an upwelling of water from the drop off to the shallow part

Last edited:
If I may make a suggestion: in the substrate of your drop off side(deepest point of the tank) you should keep tube anemones. They are stunning and amazing creatures, and will thrive in such a reef. Even NPS Gorgonians will look amazing against the dropoff wall. :)

If I may make a suggestion: in the substrate of your drop off side(deepest point of the tank) you should keep tube anemones. They are stunning and amazing creatures, and will thrive in such a reef. Even NPS Gorgonians will look amazing against the dropoff wall. :)

Any thoughts on chemical warefare between the tube nennies and a GBTA?

Any thoughts on chemical warefare between the tube nennies and a GBTA?

None whatso ever. Tube anemone's aren't in fact anemone's. You will have a better chance between mushrooms in warfare with GBTA than a tube anem. I did a thread a while back on them I think, go have a look. They also do not move around, and they really aren't the killers everyone makes them out to be.

Research has shown that nematocyst inside tube nems are even less potent than those aiptasia - so your fish will be safe, but maybe not small crustacians.

The reason I say have them, is that they will consume any food coming past, thus helping out with filtration way at the botom there.;)

None whatso ever. Tube anemone's aren't in fact anemone's. You will have a better chance between mushrooms in warfare with GBTA than a tube anem. I did a thread a while back on them I think, go have a look. They also do not move around, and they really aren't the killers everyone makes them out to be.

Research has shown that nematocyst inside tube nems are even less potent than those aiptasia - so your fish will be safe, but maybe not small crustacians.

The reason I say have them, is that they will consume any food coming past, thus helping out with filtration way at the botom there.;)

Nice,

thanks for the info, definately an option !!

hhhhmmm im not so convinced on the lack of potency of those nematocyst to be honest. I had a beautiful tube nennie (no issues with it and that GBTA neil:)) and a piece of skint floated into the tube nennie, my long nosed butterfly tried to take it away from the tube nennie and got a direct sting into his gills which was a fatal blow. I think warr and lanzo were with me at the time and I might even have some pics of it happening, i'll have a look.

but there shouldnt be any concerns with chem issues between thew and its rare that they sting fish. greatdditions to any tank, but do like to be fed, so the depth might be difficult in this situation.

external pumps controlling closed loop systems turnover Est to be in the 30x mark although we are looking at using some sort of thermal difference to cause an upwelling of water from the drop off to the shallow part

Ok...when you ready, we need to see those plans showing the current/upwelling. Sounds very interesting.

30x turnover is low though for SPS....In my current tank I'm at 100x. Although the top end of the drop off where you going to house the SPS's would need more concentrated flow...and would be better if you have alternating directional flow.

Ok...when you ready, we need to see those plans showing the current/upwelling. Sounds very interesting.

30x turnover is low though for SPS....In my current tank I'm at 100x. Although the top end of the drop off where you going to house the SPS's would need more concentrated flow...and would be better if you have alternating directional flow.

still working on the thermal concept, i definately think there is some sort of merit in it, i will post plans after tests in another tank show that it is worth while ....

I know that 30x is relatively low, but i am aiming for the right type of flow, something like Glyns tank which is spectacular with only 17x turnover.... i can look at upping one or both pumps to get the turnover up to 40x or so

Back
Top Bottom