The Drop Off Tank !

Neil H

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Some background and Inspiration

Well when I first started my current marine tank I was under the illusion that this would be the perfect tank, I THOUGHT I had read enough, that I had done enough research etc etc etc …… When I set out with that tank I had no intention of keeping SPS, and the list of thought and didn’t realize goes on and on and on ………

I have had this tank for bout 2 years now, and have achieved some great successes while continuously learning about this amazing hobby… for the most part I have been very patient with stocking and learnt to research the creatures I want to keep in great depth before buying them….. and have been rewarded with very few deaths and a great reef as a result….. An unfortunate incident where I lost 13 of my prized fish in a tank move came close to ending this hobby for me, but I have decided to press forward !

So last year October when I was in the Amazon doing some geological research I received an e-mail from my lovely non reefer wife who said that she was sick of us renting a house in JHb and that it was time to settle down etc etc …. The mail went on for quite a bit, although as a reefer all I read was we buying a house … you get to have your dream tank !!!! at least that is the way I interpreted it. So when I was back in the land of smoke and taxi’s, we started looking of a suitable abode…. Not an easy task as many of you I am sure will attest to !

As we looked through house after house after house I was imagining tank after tank after tank ….. eventually we found what we were looking for and made an offer, it was accepted and the rest is history. Looking at those initial pics we took of the house way back in November I realized that of the 50 odd pics a good 30 of them were taken with potential tank positions in mind (a fact that non reefer has subsequently noticed).

So before I go and talk about the tank I am busy building I thought I would post pics of SOME of the systems that have inspired me to go ahead and build this dream tank of mine….

9114bea991c2c431.jpg

9114bea991c423f0.gif

9114bea991c4c7dd.jpg

9114bea9af884d56.jpg

9114b6a7e2550c95.jpg

9114b6a7d0fe1e1a.jpg

9114b41ce59103ea.jpg

9114b41cfdc4e1e5.jpg

9114b41cf876bb3a.jpg

This is simply a snap shot of some of the tanks that have blown my mind it is not an exhaustive list, some I am sure you will recognize others are from overseas forums… I will continue with what has happened with the new tank build when I get some time this evening hopefully ….. rest assured it will be something VERY different to what you may think ….

The build has progressed to some extent, so be patient :p

OOH, dare I say .. where is the pics :p

This is going to be an awesome build. Tel us a bit more.. size etc?

its about time you started a thread.. congrats on the decision to go ahead.. may you have a smooth as glass ride to achieving your goal...

The first proposed tank

As I mentioned when I bought the house I was imagining tanks left right and centre :) ….. and when I saw the wall between the lounge / entrance hall and the dining room I knew what had to be done ….. a room divider tank :1: ….. a couple of hours of carefully planned negotiations with the non reefer and we had the go-ahead ! :thumbup:

9114beaa4821991a.jpg

Yeahaa Room divider tank here we come…… Planning went into overdrive the proposed tank was 1.2m long 90cm wide and 60 cm deep …. Ohhh the aquascaping possibilities, it was mind blowing!!!

This is the sketchup drawing I made of the tank
9114beaa3b98f14e.jpg

9114beaa3baa9b4f.jpg

9114beaa48233181.jpg

9114beaa3bbd4a32.jpg

Things were really going Fast, by Now it was February 2010, we had taken occupation of the house and I was rearing to go ….

Going to turn out to be a great thread.

congratulations Neil H!:thumbup:
Hmmm I'll be watching your progress carefully:yeahdude:
a couple of hours of carefully planned negotiations with the non reefer and we had the go-ahead
Do we really wanna know what the terms of surrender where to get the ok for this tank? :razz:

Do we really wanna know what the terms of surrender where to get the ok for this tank? :razz:

I had just bought her a yorkie.....

the force is strong with this one !

This is worse than watching the movie of the decade on SABC when at the critical moment they slot in an ad break, or "to be continued..."

The anticipation of what happens next is just crazy.

Definately tagging along on this build

great to see u starting a thread on this, especvially as I know that stand is there already!

its a testimant to skiving off work as much as i do that I can put names to most of the tanks youve posted there, some tryuley beautiful systems :)

good luck with the build mate :)

If not mistaken I think that the 4th tank is Puppy's? :) It was truely and amazing sytem.

Cant' wait to see your new tank Neil.

Quite correct there JD, a SUPER system that !!!!:thumbup:

Congrats. While renting is sort of cheap, it does limit you. Can't wait till the wife and I get our own place.

Do you have anymore on this tank? Pretty much the aquascaping look I want to get for my tank

Not off hand, i found it while looking for aquascaping idea's i assume there is some sort of PVC framework under the structure, visually it is awesome with the cave but i think it could limit coral placement as well

Bleakness

Things however hinged on one critical element at this stage, above the door between the lounge and the dining room was a double wall, to the left of the doorway there was a single wall, which became double wall after 1.2m …. The idea was simple, remove this wall, as there was NO DOUBT a proper lintel supporting the 2.5m wall above this… :whistling:

9114beaa59c8275a.jpg

By now I had contracted a builder to remove the wall before we started renovating the lounge. 2 days before he was due to start I thought I had better check on this lintel story, and I dragged my ass into the roof….. and could not see anything that looked like a lintel… So I went back down stairs and chipped off the plaster …. NO LINTEL…. shit

9114beaa59c7aade.jpg

I called engineers who called their engineer buddies but to no avail, there was NO lintel and supporting it without some serious construction and sleepless nights would not be possible….

Non reefer came home that February day to a very the MOER In reefer … and a plaster dust filled lounge which remarkably made non reefer more mad than reefer :p

The room divider tank I had been dreaming about for 4 months was not going to happen !!!!

:( :( :( :( :(

Back
Top Bottom