How to get rid of play sand floating around in DT?

Sorry for only joining in now, busy with training courses. I did some speed reading through the thread. Just a question, if you stop the return pump and the tank clears like you said, does the particles go up or do they drop slowly? If up, then it's obviously bubbles, if down, then it is sand or other floaty bits and pieces :)

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier in the thread :blush:

The skimmer, from where do the bubbles escape? From the exit or around the pump portion?

Exit design looks like a TS2 skimmer. Just a standpipe upwards. is that exit under water or above. If above how much out of the water?

Sorry for only joining in now, busy with training courses. I did some speed reading through the thread. Just a question, if you stop the return pump and the tank clears like you said, does the particles go up or do they drop slowly? If up, then it's obviously bubbles, if down, then it is sand or other floaty bits and pieces :)

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier in the thread :blush:

@RiaanP the bubbles looks like its escaping from both exit and entry. the exit is under the water.

@Tobes thanks for the response.seems to be micro bubbles, as my return is now running, and skimmer is off. tank is clearing up slowly. will turn the return off now, let the tank settle. and switch the return back on to see if it helps.

also added 2 extra baffle plates in today, added the a baffel plate in the first and last chamber, and that still has not done the job at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is your problem. The exit needs to no above the water height in your sump. By being below you are increasing the water level in the skimmer.

will that cause excessive micro bubbles?

Yes because the outlet creates back pleasure and the air that would normally "pop" and disperse now enters the water colum. Lift the skimmer by placing something under it. I have used a brick before.

Yes because the outlet creates back pleasure and the air that would normally "pop" and disperse now enters the water colum. Lift the skimmer by placing something under it. I have used a brick before.

But be careful!! dont go playing with bricks after a couple :peroni: :p

Sorry for late reply, but had work function.
Anyway, skimmer outlet as mentioned should be above water level. My skimmer is standing on top of 2 pieces of PVC pipe.

Back
Top Bottom