How to get rid of play sand floating around in DT?

Travis1

(wilsontravy)
Reaction score
Howsit guys, i have small particles floating around in m DT, figured it out to be play sand from my DSb which overflowed while i was filling the tank, so not onl do i hvae the play sand in the DT, but also in the return chamber. sand has settled in the DSB now, but now how to get rid of the play sand in the DT and return chamber?

Should not have particles floating around. How good did you wash your sand?

sand was washed properly, was from another reefers tank. what else will work there?r anything else that i can try? filter sock is 150 for one. bit ridiculous.

Stockings also make good filter socks. I buy the knee high type which have separate 'legs' and therefore no need to cut the gusset. If the sand is too fine for the stocking maybe you could put some filter floss into the stocking?

Stockings also make good filter socks. I buy the knee high type which have separate 'legs' and therefore no need to cut the gusset. If the sand is too fine for the stocking maybe you could put some filter floss into the stocking?

good idea. will give it a try too. il do anything at this point to get rid of all those particles

Ok, have put filter floss in the bottom of over flow pipe in stocking, have tried to clean particles in DT with a net and filter floss, did not seem to help much. Is it particles? Or could it be salt? Is it from my lighting? Coz really this is starting to irritate me now. Any ideas guys? Am currently running 4 24w T5. 2 10000K day lights, and 2 acintics.

i dont have any flow pumps as yet, only running return pump while tank is cycling, with only the return running will this prolong the whole process as there is not enough water movement in the tank?

picture.php

picture.php

Iam sure in the next few days with the gobbler filter socks your problem should be gone or settled:whistling:

will leave it for a a day or too and see what happens

i think i know what the problem here is, my sump was built incorrectly here, my first chamber is over flowing into the dsb, but now the first chambers glass is much higher than the dsb end glass, so the water is running from skimmer chamber, onto the dsb and the particles are flowing over the dsb end glass because its much shallower than the inlet of dsb chamber? could this be correct?

picture.php

this is my sumps dsb, notice how the 2 baffles are diff sizes, 2nd one is much shorter than the first, coz i cleaned my return chamber this am with all sand that was in it, now there is more sand in it now?

Back
Top Bottom