How to get rid of play sand floating around in DT?

your problem is with the drop it has into the second chamber. Need to try break its fall with perhaps pvc pipe or something or try raising the water level in the dsb section by adding glass ontop of the second baffel. Also what are your sumps dimentions esspecially how wide is your sump and what return pump are you running

sump is 40cm wide. am running the sicce multi 4000, 3800lph. less head height.

will get some glass for it tomorrow then. now is my flow to fast over my dsb? total water volume is around 250l im using a 3800lph at 1.4m head height( well the height to where the water is flowing out)

picture.php

this is my sumps dsb, notice how the 2 baffles are diff sizes, 2nd one is much shorter than the first, coz i cleaned my return chamber this am with all sand that was in it, now there is more sand in it now?

your flow looks good, actually your flow is tooooooo much for this setup.
Yes you are right. The second divider is way out too low. And you ended up with this waterfall into the DSB chamber that will wash out the sand.

Simplest, fastest solution.
Put another glass partition on top of the last divider. So that the total height is 10mm lower than the first divider. Just switch of the retrurn pump. Drain a bit of water above the DSB and the return. Silicone new piece directly on top of the old piece. Next day you can switch the water flow on again.

How wide is your sump? from front to back?

thank you all for your help guys. will get glass moro and sort it out. really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is 450mm wide. And I'm running a Bubble Blaster 5300L/h pump. So I should have more flow across my DSB. My divider is 10mm in difference. I believe that is where your problem comes from. The difference in height.

awesome. will def sort it out asap.

What worked for me was to multiple layers of filter floss matt above the entire return chamber. Cleared the water up in a few days

@RiaanP will be doing the glass add on today. do you think while most the sump water is drained, to rewash the play sand, i also have live sand mix added with the play sand. am also going to try and take out particles from DT by siphoning the DT. was thinking of just restarting the whole setup again, taking all water out, and filling up again, tank only been running with water from sat last week. filled with nsw.

to rewash the play sand, i also have live sand mix added with the play sand
If live is already added, I would just leave it alone.
Just drain to below the current divider.
And put small powerhead in the dsb area, or a airstone, just to provide circulation.

Thanks

i completely redid my whole set up today, from adding the extra glass to re cleaning my aragonite, and play sand. tank was clear, not mirky at all while filling up. @RiaanP i still hvae these thousands of particles floating in the DT? ***? that cant be right. so after a long day re doing the whole setup, and nothing has changed, imagine how p^&%$#D off i am. right. process of elimanation started. switched of return pump, and with in 3 mins, the DT was almost crystal clear, switched return on again, and thousand of particles floating in DT again. could this possible be air bubbles? maybe sucking in from a whole in my return plumbing? am running the sicce multi 4000, but wuth the external attachment running in sump, as i was told it would not make a diff. i def dnt think its sand particles, as they will still be floating around for awhile after return is switched off and not 3 mins like it is? @leslie hempel @Tobes @459b, guys what are the chances of my theory being correct here? i do not have any flow pumps in DT, as will buy them once tank is cycled.

Micro-bubbles is an option. That pump is pretty strong and it takes the smallest hole to suck air and create bubbles. Do you see a stream of bubbles coming out the return pipe into the tank?
But im not sure if it is bubbles becasue by the picture the particles seem very well dispersed throughout the tank. Roughly how much flow does the pump create in the tank?
What you could do is put a filter bag (with a very fine mesh size) over the return and see what it catches.

refilling will cause a little bit of cloudiness. give it a few days to settle

my water is not really cloudy at all. as i filtered the water before putting in tank, and cleaned all arogonite and play sand.

the more i think thats its air bubbles the more i am thinking of my return plumbing, infact i think i mite no what the problem is, the 45 deg that going into the DT surface, well just under water level, is not secured prop with pvc weld, its loose so that i can turn the angle as needed. i think its pulling in air through that 45 deg at the top, coz its not really a tight fitting. could it be???

Back
Top Bottom