First setup

type of snail if not mistaken. Leave it.

Hi guys. Again with a million questions.... is it normal for my KH to spike so high? Its through the roof. I used the Red sea Pro Test kit and i had to use 1.1ml of titration before i got a colour change. And is it normal for my algae to have 9 000 000 air bubbles on them?

20160310_182514.jpg

Thanx for the solid advice on lowering kh... heres another 1. Did tests Saturday and e erything seemed normal. Today, however, everything tested great except for my magnesium which tested at 3400ppm. What gives? Cant find videos or related info on why or how to lower....

There must be something wrong with your test kits or the way you are testing. If your magnesium was fine on Saturday then it is impossible for it to double/triple in 2 days.

Last edited:
How much tank water are you adding to your test vials?

i use the Red Sea Pro Test Kit, instructions state 5ml of water. i tested 3 times and each time i did i got water from the top, the middle and the bottom of the tank. I added some more live rock which is exploding with all these cool stuff but i highly doubt that it could be the new rock as it is only about 4kg of rock. on all 3 occasions i used 1.3ml of titration. 0.01ml = 20ppm. the test kit is well away from expiry date. will take sme water to lfs and have it tested. This is very very confusing and i cant get any advice on lowering except doing a water change. i do not have any Livestock in the tank and no corals apart from a tiny blanket polyp which opened all of its thingys since i got it a month ago. do i neeed to change water or should i leave it for a few days till i do my next change?

12/03/2016
  • Temp: 25.5
  • Salinity: 1.025
  • nitrate: 20ppm
  • nitrite: 2ppm
  • calcium: 450ppm
  • Magnesium: 1160ppm
  • KH: 4.6Meq/L
  • Ph: 8
14/03/2016
  • Temp: 24.4
  • Salinity: 1.027
  • nitrate: 10ppm
  • nitrite: 2ppm
  • calcium: 470ppm
  • Magnesium: 3400ppm
  • KH: 4.6Meq/L
  • Ph: 8.2

i do not dose anything apart from NoPoX

i use the Red Sea Pro Test Kit, instructions state 5ml of water. i tested 3 times and each time i did i got water from the top, the middle and the bottom of the tank. I added some more live rock which is exploding with all these cool stuff but i highly doubt that it could be the new rock as it is only about 4kg of rock. on all 3 occasions i used 1.3ml of titration. 0.01ml = 20ppm. the test kit is well away from expiry date. will take sme water to lfs and have it tested. This is very very confusing and i cant get any advice on lowering except doing a water change. i do not have any Livestock in the tank and no corals apart from a tiny blanket polyp which opened all of its thingys since i got it a month ago. do i neeed to change water or should i leave it for a few days till i do my next change?

bollocks i somehow convinced myself to use 5ml water for the test:whistling: i was suppose to use 2ml. i feel like such a :censored:. tested with 2ml water and got to 1560ppm on 3 depth levels tested. still a bit high but a water change will sort it. im just gonna keep a low profile for a while. i might injure myself....

is a dsb in sump a necessity coz i read that sand can take months to cycle. will it help to run LR instead of sand?

My current setup is a plug and play. Obviously to prosper in reefing one need to know and understand your equipment. Im planning if everything is perfect this year to move on to a 1000l aquarium. But learning how the sump works with all the chemical and mechanical filter etc is a hand full. I first want to understand the sump completely and best options inside then move on to tank. Thanx a mil. The cubes i like.

Having a sump is not as complicated as you think. Your most common sump is a 3 chamber (3 sectioned) sump. Your tank drains into the first chamber and your skimmer will be housed there as well. The second chamber most guys use it to place their heaters, liverock,cheato etc. in there. Also the majority use it as a refugium for their naughty fish or simply a place for copepods to breed. Reactors are just there to make things a bit easier. The last chamber would house your return pump.

Yesterday i tested and dosed No3 with recommended 2.1ml NoPoX and the water got milky. Do i need to stress or do a water change? this morning water seemed slightly more clear and my tiny zoa and some other weird thing dont know what it is seems fine. opened full

Yesterday i tested and dosed No3 with recommended 2.1ml NoPoX and the water got milky.
That's a bacterial bloom. Cut your dosage in half until it clears and then slowly increase the dosage until you get back up to where it should be. Are you dosing according to your total system volume and the Nitrate level in your tank? You have to be careful with nopox, it's pretty strong stuff, lol.

Yip as per instructions on bottle. If No3>25ppm dose 3ml/100l, so i dose 2.1ml per day on my 70L tank

So, i blacked out my tank using news paper. all the nasty green algae is gone but still my No3 and Po4 is through the roof.

No3 16ppm
Po4 0.64ppm

Still in that horrible phase of cycling i guess? How Long will this spikes continue? i want to add a fish soon. 20 days to go then i will hit the 3 months mark.

If you got no livestock in the tank? what is pushing the nutrients levels? By now everything should have settled and be stable.

Algae is part of the cycle. Keeping the tank in darkness to kill the algae, and the algae themselves will release the locked up Po4 in them, giving enough food for the next algae outbreak.

Where did the rock you got came from? Another shut down system? Or freshly imported via LFS?

Reactions: EFJ
Back
Top Bottom