Chika's New Playground for King Neptune

Drilled the sump today to accomodate "extra" water so hopefully no more overflowing sump and indoor swimming pools .... This goes direct to drain system outside .....
14844cbde86d978e1.jpg

Something every system should think about. i hope you can organise your salinity after a flood. salt will flow out and your top up will put RO back. You need to make sure you watch your salinity ;)

I'm busy trying to organise an alarm of some sorts to alert me when it does flow through the "emergency drain" so will alert me of that situation and hopefully wont lose too much salt water .... Just made it overflow "out" as starting feeling sorry for the wife helping me mop up after a titsup on my side.....

I'm busy trying to organise an alarm of some sorts to alert me when it does flow through the "emergency drain" so will alert me of that situation and hopefully wont lose too much salt water .... Just made it overflow "out" as starting feeling sorry for the wife helping me mop up after a titsup on my side.....

get a low voltage beeper, connect the power onto it and leave a cable connected to a probe in the water and another in the pipe...when it gets wet it will sound the alarm.......and tickle the fish:razz:

OK who want to throw their 2C comments on this and their thoughts as to how I got this to work ... I guarantee I will shock most of the members as to how simple and easy this was to do ..... I got this happening about 4 times a minute randomly
[ame="http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1687092095838"]Incompatible Browser | Facebook[/ame]

Last edited:
The waterleak on the pipe above or the waterflow on the bottom pipe???:p
This temporary .....;) Thats water coming from my surprise tank above and even it leaks I dont mind as it will fall straight into the 2.5M ,,,, Now lets here some of your crit on my surge:yeahdude: BTW ... If you turn the volume up a bit and close your eyes in my lounge it sounds like waves crashing!

I can try so long but dont know if it will make any sense .... The 1 and a half minute vid of the actual surge creator is busy uploading ... going to take awhile .... In the mean time will try to explain ..... My six foot overflows to a 3 chamber side tank coz its "old school where we used bioballs and filteration in the first 2 and the last chamber has a 50mm drain that goes to my 2.5M and "T" off to a frag tank and lastly the skimmer chamber in the sump ..... In this last chamber I was thinking of adding a durso standpipe to quieten the huge 40cm waterfall noise so added a standard 40mm drainpipe last night hopeing that the "fall" will shorten thus lowering the volume of the water crashing down .... Done .....worked but was still noisy .....and was quite late so looking around couldn't find anything else except my empty flake food container ... Genius me decide to turn it upside down and "cap" the drain pipe .... The surge started .... Water falling on the cap would only do so a point where enough air had built up to raise the container enough to such a height that it would "creep" under the cap and quickly surge down the drain .... Now with less water the cap would then fall closing off the drain again untill the whole process repeats itself .... Awesome in real life and the sound effects are too good .... I can control the "surge" by means of closing or opening the valves on "T" ..... Wait for the vid .... Its self explanatory and so simple!

Took a shorter vid .... Damn the video loaded sideways ... but you get the idea ...... check it out .... looks better if you physically hold your head sideways!
[ame="http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1687206418696"]Incompatible Browser | Facebook[/ame]

Last edited:
Hey chika i think you need to refine this idea a bit. Its going to cause crazy salt spray and the fish and corals won't appreciate the bubbles at all. You should have the outlet under the water. Another thing is the pipe could be a bit thinner. That way there is less room for bubbles. My old surge device was with a 32mm pipe. Or was it 25? I dont remember but you get my drift.

Thanx bud .... The mouth will definately go under water ... just had to "see" it how it was going to work first before fine tuning it .... This is 40mm and by the time it going to the water surface will reduce it further ..... We need to chat about lights soon.....

Last edited:
I got news the truck now is at the Zim borders checking the LED's .... will be here soon .... Whats your take on the surge device .... I'm sure you can upscale this version to make a big one for your setup?

Last edited:
Cool ... I'm thinking if you work it out proportionally in place of my 500ml food container you can upscale to a reseviour on maybe the roof that can maybe use a 110mm sewer pipe in place of the 40mm "durso style" down drain pipe and you could use a 25Ltr bucket to "cap" it and "open and close" the drain .... I think I gonna try it ..... Will keep all posted

Last edited:
I watched the video sideways, upside down etc....lol

I can still not understand what you did.

I am very slow in catching on to "new technology', so please explain in a "boertjies" terms Chika. A sketch would also work well

Last edited:
Right this is a pic I took a long time ago .... It shows the 3 chambers built onto the side of the tank and the water flows like coast to coast on the top then down a channel into the extreme left and under into the middle and finally over to the extreme right .... then down the drain.....

14844cc70c4c43d46.jpg

Now here is a pic of the water flowing like normal :

14844cc70d4d231a2.jpg

Then I added a standard 40mm drain pipe (like half a durso) to bring the water level up a bit so as to eliminate the loud waterfall noise
14844cc70db3ad0a1.jpg

Then I added this flake food container upside down on top the drain pipe like a hat
14844cc70e00e1103.jpg

Now the water rises to a point where it starts to raise the level of the hat coz of the air trapped under it .... It will rise untill the drain gets exposed and the water speeds into the 40mm drain and now the reverse happens .... The hat drops and "closes" the drain again causing the level to rise again starting the whole process again .... And you end up with this ..... .Oh hell it got taken sideways again!

[ame]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1688593613375[/ame]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom