Bio Cubes or NP Pellets

This is sad. Why is everyone so scared of airing their views on a product.... One would swear that Orca is running this forum. This is a public platform where one can share your views and have constructive and meaningful discussions. While being respectful and sticking to the rules one should not be banned.

I am sorry let me clarify @CarlosF was not ban due to cube discussion

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok lets put it this way, I am sure the cubes could work but I find the lack of any long term research, scientific testing and the way they market the product to be the problem for me and having said that all those points would apply to any product on the market which do the same thing.
So like I said I would easily change my mind if someone showed me some scientific testing some long term testing, etc.

thanks, yes its a new product, almost 2, and these points are valid and i shall pass them on.

as for the long term tests, these will come in time like all new products...
but comparing apples with apples, there are no tests/results/papers on NP pellets either, i cant find, but if you have please post here so all can see.

now when i propose the testing, what specifics would appeal to hobbyists? residue composition? effectiveness compared to competing products, biological composition?

so if we look at Zeovit, it works, we have proof, and yet only Mr Pohl knows whats inside and how it works does that make the product any less or more effective? dont get me wrong, normal VSV dosing works wonders too but there is less leeway and requires constant adaptation...

please lets keep this constructive debate happening

yup :thumbup:

so some simple math based on a 500L system, given 0 < NO3 < 10ppm
based on sponsor pricing

NP Pellets
0.5-1L per 500ml - R750 - R1000
Reactor - R1500
Pump - R500
battery backup - optional but needed - R3000
Approx cost R R5500 - R6500
I think your costing is a bit over the top. 500ml costs R500 from The Waterboy

With regards to your maintenance "Best practise"
Maintenance: based on best practice (where did you get this procedure from)
NP Pellets:
clean pump Only when flow is not sufficient
clean reactor Never needed to do this ? the pellets tumble, rub against the reactor?
check pellets are tumbling and fluidised correctly
Top up as needed once every two to three months depending on bioload.

sorry dallas but cant get myself banned again..
you werent banned for constructive posts....

its easy to give opinions but justify them or atleast give constructive information

i can also tell the world that dosing Oroa twice a day made my corals colour up but until people see me doing it, it holds no value.

i know the cubes arent for everybody, NP Pellets do work, Zeovit provides colour but at what costs? isnt the saying dont add an additive if you cant test it? what are the contents of the blue bottles?

For me..Bio Pellets and Cubes work...
Different methods of implementing by the different manufacturers.

For bio Pellets a reactor is needed
For Cubes, The bomb method

If you like a reactor, then use bio pellets

If you like to use bio cubes, then use bio cubes

Pellets and cubes do the same thing IMO.

So you choose which way you want to go.

Lots of successful pellet tanks

lots of successful Bio Cube tanks

end of the day, not all reef keepers are the same and follow the same methods..

Like me for example..Im using bio pellets and old zeo stones..LOL!
Im mad so don't take me seriously:thumbup:

I started my tank. I read about NP pellets and the cubes. I decided on cubes for price and space reasons. It worked well, lowered nitrates and phos significantly but not enough phos. I added a phos reactor and now my levels are stable at Nitrates of 2 and phos of 0 on Salifert tests. Just one tank, completely subjective but it was easy and it worked for me. I will continue using them as long as they work.

Ok, before everyone starts arguing and fighting :p A HUGE thanks to those that have replied, awesome info for me to digest, thank you, it has certainly cleared some things up for me. :thumbup: I'm still a bit undecided though on which method will be best for me so looking forward to reading more comments.

Just one more quick question about the cubes, what airstone do you guys use? One of the very fine Limewood airstones or the normal standard FW airstones? And it looks like it's just placed in the middle of the bag in the middle of the media, is that right? Or does it have to be placed at the bottom of the bag?
BUMP :tt2::tt2::tt2:

I think your costing is a bit over the top. 500ml costs R500 from The Waterboy - i got pricing from 2 sponsors near me, so most relevant for me, i also stated it was approx

With regards to your maintenance "Best practise"
Maintenance: based on best practice (where did you get this procedure from) - threads on RC, forums, research before using them, experience of other users and having run them for a year
NP Pellets:
clean pump Only when flow is not sufficient - this doesnt happen with cubes
clean reactor Never needed to do this ? the pellets tumble, rub against the reactor? - it was added as good husbandry is better than cubes, pellets, zeovit etc
check pellets are tumbling and fluidised correctly
Top up as needed once every two to three months depending on bioload. this point was mentioned for both

these are my views based on my experience and usage, i think i did mention that.

No one said he was. He is the second guy to say that they would rather keep quiet than be banned and I found that to be rather strange that members are making those comments. But lets just leave this there as its off topic.

they know what they did :)

I started my tank. I read about NP pellets and the cubes. I decided on cubes for price and space reasons. It worked well, lowered nitrates and phos significantly but not enough phos. I added a phos reactor and now my levels are stable at Nitrates of 2 and phos of 0 on Salifert tests. Just one tank, completely subjective but it was easy and it worked for me. I will continue using them as long as they work.
How are you using them? Please post a pic if you have one.

For me..Bio Pellets and Cubes work...
Different methods of implementing by the different manufacturers.

For bio Pellets a reactor is needed
For Cubes, The bomb method

If you like a reactor, then use bio pellets

If you like to use bio cubes, then use bio cubes

Pellets and cubes do the same thing IMO.

So you choose which way you want to go.

Lots of successful pellet tanks

lots of successful Bio Cube tanks

end of the day, not all reef keepers are the same and follow the same methods..

Like me for example..Im using bio pellets and old zeo stones..LOL!
Im mad so don't take me seriously:thumbup:

great reply, yes user experience is what counts :)

Is it put inside the bag in the middle of the media? Or is it put underneath the bag?

in the bag, there are instructions in a booklet in the bottle explaining how they work and how to install

BioCubes1.jpg

BioCubes2.jpg

BioCubes3.jpg

BioCubes4.jpg

BioCubes5.jpg

BioCubes6.jpg

BioCubes8.jpg

Excellent, thanks Dallas. Last question from me please, in simple laymans terms, what is the Titanium product all about, how is it different to the normal bio cubes?

And the NP Pellets, I see there's a few different manufacturers of them, are any of them better than the rest or all much of a muchness?

How are you using them? Please post a pic if you have one.

I'll post a pic tonight. I run them slightly different because I put them in the back chamber of a RSM 250 and I had trouble with the bubbles going through to my return pump. I put them in a 63mm pvc pipe with drilled end caps and an air stone instead. So still a bomb but the the bubbles are controlled to come out the top close to the surface so they don't get close to my return pump and cause micro bubbles.

Container, airstone, solid walls. Maybe a "plastic" bomb, but not a reactor as I don't use a pump.

Back
Top Bottom