Bio Cubes or NP Pellets

thats the point, what are the pros and cons of both that you see...

what about the cubes need to be changed?

i have them running on tanks ranging from 20L to 3500L

Please do air your views... That way all members will gain a better understanding of the product.
Ok NP Pellets

Pros:
Best filtration method I have ever used
No worry about Redfield ratio (provided it is your only filtration used)

Cons:
Personally I see none but let me discuss what others see as cons

Need a battery back up in case of power outage, Not a con because the first thing any reefer should buy for his tank is a battery back up IMO

Needs a skimmer rated for twice the tank volume, not a con because so many people in SA particularly under skim their tanks, so a big skimmer can do nothing but good

Needs a reactor, not a con because personally I like the neat and tidiness it brings to my sump area as a pose to salt creep from airstones, a reactor can also be used externally therefore also being very space saving.

Cubes

Personally I have never used them and never will until like I said a few things about them change but I really don't feel like being banned today so will just leave it there :p

Personally I have never used them and never will until like I said a few things about them change but I really don't feel like being banned today so will just leave it there :p

well if its constructive then its all good. constructive can be good and bad

so since i have some knowledge of the cubes, what needs to be changed, please do share or PM me

Does anyone perhaps have a pic of the bio cubes installed in their systems please :)

BioCubes8.jpg

placing the cubes in a bag with and air stone and then placing the full bag into the sump. this is call the bomb method.[/QUOTE]

What type of bag would one use for this. Any in paticular?

Best filtration method I have ever used
well this is your opinion and that matters. I however dissagree. Both pellets and cubes, if used correctly are great!

Personally I have never used them and never will until like I said a few things about them change but I really don't feel like being banned today so will just leave it there
If its factual and constructive you can not be banned.

Does anyone perhaps have a pic of the bio cubes installed in their systems please
I will post tonight my pictures or my cubes. Anyone else care to post their pictures?

placing the cubes in a bag with and air stone and then placing the full bag into the sump. this is call the bomb method.

What type of bag would one use for this. Any in paticular?[/QUOTE]

You are psovided with the bag when you buy the cubes. Comes included.

IMO i dont see reactors in the ocean. having a bunch of these reactors inside your sump or where ever they may be makes it look not neat. having a bag of the biocubes in the sump with a tiny airstone does look a lot neater and tidy as you dont see this all the time. besides. having a normal pc UPS to power the airpump and your return will help when you have a power failure because they dont use a lot of power. so the UPS will run a lot longer when an outage occurs. having a bunch of reactors on a ups drains it quicker.... please bare in mind not all of us can fork out 10K for a UPS and walk away thinking wow i could have gone even bigger. this comes from the poor mans point of view..
:p

Cubes

Personally I have never used them and never will :p

so if you have never used them, and know the problems, please share, and i can pass it on, then everybody wins

i myself have had great clean water with np pellets and they atlre ao easy to use...

i will never touch orca cube myself(got my own reasons and proof)

my new tank will be zeovit which i think is the ultimate for a ulns system with best colours for sps from any type of system

i will never touch orca cube myself(got my own reasons and proof)

my new tank will be zeovit which i think is the ultimate for a ulns system with best colours for sps from any type of system

do share? and proof of what?

well if you have never used zeovit, how do you know its the best? better than pellets?
better than many vodka dosing tanks, can show you plenty colourful tanks without zeovit, look at the TOTM here on MASA

well if its constructive then its all good. constructive can be good and bad

so since i have some knowledge of the cubes, what needs to be changed, please do share or PM me
Ok lets put it this way, I am sure the cubes could work but I find the lack of any long term research, scientific testing and the way they market the product to be the problem for me and having said that all those points would apply to any product on the market which do the same thing.
So like I said I would easily change my mind if someone showed me some scientific testing some long term testing, etc.

well this is your opinion and that matters. I however dissagree. Both pellets and cubes, if used correctly are great!
This was meant more in the sense of comparing Bio Pellets to other filtration I have used like DSB, Remote DSB, Fuges, Scrubbers, etc. not really comparing them to cubes as like I said I have never used cubes.

Ok, before everyone starts arguing and fighting :p A HUGE thanks to those that have replied, awesome info for me to digest, thank you, it has certainly cleared some things up for me. :thumbup: I'm still a bit undecided though on which method will be best for me so looking forward to reading more comments.

Just one more quick question about the cubes, what airstone do you guys use? One of the very fine Limewood airstones or the normal standard FW airstones? And it looks like it's just placed in the middle of the bag in the middle of the media, is that right? Or does it have to be placed at the bottom of the bag?

Last edited:
Being the king of carbon dosing as I am also very busy, (I mean lazy :p) and always wanted a way out of water changes as I knew that one could get away from doing them, I have tried all type of carbon dosing. From vinegar, to vodka, to sugar to a combination of two or all three and then to pellets (which I HATED, as the flow had to always be optimal, and the when I added new pellets, they all flowed to the top of the reactor)

Hi Carlos :)

Longtime no speak. The reason for that is that you have to soak the pellets for a night in RO to get rid of all microbubbles. (Or if you are cut for time and impatient like me put RO in the bag with the pellets you bought and shake vigorously.:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry dallas but cant get myself banned again..

This is sad. Why is everyone so scared of airing their views on a product.... One would swear that Orca is running this forum. This is a public platform where one can share your views and have constructive and meaningful discussions. While being respectful and sticking to the rules one should not be banned.

Back
Top Bottom