Adam's TL-450

Reaction score
Hello everyone! :)

I bought a Boyu TL-450 in early 2011 (I think January/February). I started with NSW, live sand from the beach, and Prodibio Start-up. After 4 weeks I added some of my coral. After another 2 weeks, I added 3 fish. After a bout of whitespot (and loss of all livestock), I've decided to take things easier on the livestock side.

Changes/modifications:
  • Removed all the stock filtration (including skimmer)
  • Added a Boyu WG-308 Skimmer.
  • Added phosphate remover.
  • Added SEIO Prop 320 and Boyu WM-101.
  • Added about 7-9kg's of live rock.
  • Added a PC fan (blowing air out). Got the egg crate idea from fly*. :)
Hardware
I have an auto-topup which I haven't "formally" set up as yet.

I just began running the WM-101 and put the SEIO prop off... Will run SEIO prop at night and WM101 during the day (on the same timer as my lights). Depends on how the corals find it, I'll see from there. With the SEIO Prop, there's no real dead spots. I've mounted by WM-101 on egg crate (using cable ties). The suction cups wouldn't work on the back panel since it is not glass.

My lighting is currently the stock lighting. I run them from 8am to 8pm. I don't use the LED moonlights. I've also managed to get another TL450 hood. Going to investigate the possibility of LED lighting.

I had a digital thermometer which packed up. I use the normal mercury one that I used for my freshwater tank. Temperature sits around 26-27 degrees at this point.

My heater is stock and set to 25 degrees centigrade. All pumps in the back chambers are stock. The arm for the return pump is tilting toward the surface to keep water "more" oxygenated.

Livestock
I currently have no fish.

As far as clean-up crew, I have a cleaner shrimp and a number of hermits. I think this will remain as such for a few weeks.

As far as corals, I have number of different Zoas, Pulsing Xenia, Purple Shroom, Metallic Green Shrooms, Frogspawn and some other little guys.

Maintenance
I do a 15L water change every 2 weeks or so. I need to be more punctual in this regard. I dosed with Microbacter7 every week (when I had fish).

I feed fish once/twice a day. Now that I have no fish, I sink flakes every morning.

I have my float switch set to turn a lamp on when my water level drops as such. I then top up. Will work on it before the holidays. I lose about 1.5L a day. I have a refractometer as well. Use it for some top-ups and changes. Salinity sits at 1.024.

I use a little plastic card and magnet cleaners to clean the glass.

My skimmer collection cup fills up every 2 days or so, I empty, rinse, replace.

Extras
I've been battling with a few types of algae, water changes helps A LOT. I've found a small piece aiptasia as well. Going to inject with kalk tonight.

Now onto the part everyone loves, PHOTOS :D

Photos
The chambers from left:
1 - Return pump and float switch.
2 - Heater.
3 - Skimmer.
4 - Phosphate Remover and Thermometer as well as pump into the skimmer chamber.

View attachment 134425

Some of my livestock:
Metallic Green Mushrooms
View attachment 134426

Frogspawn
View attachment 134427

Green Zoas
View attachment 134428

Zoas & Pulsing Xenia
View attachment 134429

Pulsing Xenia & Crab
View attachment 134430

Green & Orange Zoas - Not fully opened.
View attachment 134431

Acrobatic Shrimp
View attachment 134432

Continued in next post... :)

@Ugen - Thanks!

@Charl_Stanhope - Thanks! Will do!

As far as the skimmer goes, I don't really have livestock to test it with. It seems to be doing a better job than the stock skimmer when I had no livestock with it too. The reviews are also generally better. There are other options from Boyu for the skimmer. (WG308 and WG310 which is the same diameter, but taller). Ask SAMS in CPT. They would advise you best. :)

I only have the frogspawn for just under a week :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Keeganp - Thanks bro. Feel free to come through! :)

I've seen your thread Ugen.. GOOD STUFF :thumbup:
We should meet up? :)

Eb the tank is looking leka!Just needs some fish...but patience will pay off hopefully!

Those mushrooms look really happy in their new home:thumbup:

What fish you thinking of when the time comes?

@Falcon - shot for ALL the help and inspiration!!! :D thinking of 2 clowns and maybe a yellow tail blue damsel... Need some blue... Maybe a peppermint or glass shrimp too... :)
Probably after Maldives though... Let's see what happens...

@keegz- LOL i'd frag like how Ahmed does! Bring your scissors :) I'll give you the piece on the rock with the reddish zoas or maybe some of the top ones too... :)

Slmz EB! Your tank is looking stunning man!

Back
Top Bottom