Competition ideas welcomed.

leslie hempel

Professional Aquarist
Reaction score
Guys n girls the forum is here for all to enjoy,

I see some disappointment in the current comp running but please dont be discouraged! Why not come up with an idea that you feel will work and if found to be doable let's see if we cant get it run?

Step up and use your noggin!
Well try line up the prize for the idea!

This is a community a forum for all members to participate. Please do we are eager to hear your positive input!

Les

Last edited:
Photo of your salt creep... :m03:

For people wanting to start, who never owned a tank.

1) Tell us on what you like, and what you want out of your tank (Fish only, corals, lps, sps)?
2) Tell us what you can put in your tank (IE, if nano, you can put x-z fish, no surgeons or tangs)
3) Tell us what steps you need to follow to get your tank up and running.
4) Most importantly, tell us why you want a tank.

For people who has a startup
1) Tell us why
2) Tell us your plans
3) PICTURE OF YOU DOING A WATER CHANGE AND TESTING YOUR WATER

Basically, try to figure out how dedicated the person is. Someone who really wants it will do their homework, which we all know is a necessity for having a tank. Nothing worse than having someone start a tank, fill it to the brim in week one, and then coming to ask why all their livestock died two days later.

The prize in mind still the nano( for someone with no tank), or alternatively a starter kit (Salt, and test kits or something like that)(for someone with a tank). Maybe a flexible prize, IE, if you have a startup tank, convert the "TANK VALUE" to "MAINTANENCE or EQUIPMENT VALUE".?

Last edited:
First of all, big heads up to all the sponsors that give back to the MASA community in the form of prizes and giveaways. This year already we had some really nice goodies up for grabs from various sponsors. THANK YOU!!

I want to share some ideas for future competitions and prizes so that everyone can join the fun. I'm specifically referring to the contests where you need a running tank to enter. I feel the majority of the competitions is for the already reefers with reef tanks. For the facebook like and share, i think it's only fair that those exist even though not everyone have access to that. It's a GR8 way of marketing business. Sorry for all the non facebook members. (I'm one of them :m03:)

Here's my list of possible ideas to enter future competitions.

1. Start a new thread by introducing yourself or update your build thread here on MASA and put a link of it in the competition thread for all to see.
2. Subscibe to the sponsors email list.
3. Participate in a Reef Quis in the form of a poll with the answer at the end of the competition. We like to learn new stuff. Particitpation = your entry
3. LFS can post a picture of a product they sell and ask the members to tell them what they like about it in the competition thread.
4. Check out the sponsor website and post a link to one item you like or that you'd like to purchase in the competition thread.
5. Tag someone in the competition thread who you would like to win the prize.
6. Post a picture of your furry, feathery or any pet friends you have.
7. Post your favourite picture taken with your cam or cell phone.
8. Post a picture of your DIY project. Reef or non reef related.
9. Recruit one friend that is in the hobby to MASA. Get a friend that is not already a member to sign up to MASA and then post their MASA username in the competition thread.
10. Update your avatar with a picture.
11. Visit the LFS and take a picture of the shop or any product and post it in the competition thread.
12. Raffle entry and donating the money raised to a charity.
13. Update your MASA status or custom title to I LIKE "SPONSOR NAME" for the duration of the competition.
14. Link your favourite masa member tank build thread in the competition thread.

Last edited:
First of all, big heads up to all the sponsors that give back to the MASA community in the form of prizes and giveaways. This year already we had some really nice goodies up for grabs from various sponsors. THANK YOU!!

I want to share some ideas for future competitions and prizes so that everyone can join the fun. I'm specifically referring to the contests where you need a running tank to enter. I feel the majority of the competitions is for the already reefers with reef tanks. For the facebook like and share, i think it's only fair that those exist even though not everyone have access to that. It's a GR8 way of marketing business. Sorry for all the non facebook members. (I'm one of them :m03

Here's my list of possible ideas to enter future competitions.

1. Start a new thread by introducing yourself or update your build thread here on MASA and put a link of it in the competition thread for all to see.
2. Subscibe to the sponsors email list.
3. Participate in a Reef Quis in the form of a poll with the answer at the end of the competition. We like to learn new stuff. Particitpation = your entry
3. LFS can post a picture of a product they sell and ask the members to tell them what they like about it in the competition thread.
4. Check out the sponsor website and post a link to one item you like or that you'd like to purchase in the competition thread.
5. Tag someone in the competition thread who you would like to win the prize.
6. Post a picture of your furry, feathery or any pet friends you have.
7. Post your favourite picture taken with your cam or cell phone.
8. Post a picture of your DIY project. Reef or non reef related.
9. Recruit one friend that is in the hobby to MASA. Get a friend that is not already a member to sign up to MASA and then post their MASA username in the competition thread.
10. Update your avatar with a picture.
11. Visit the LFS and take a picture of the shop or any product and post it in the competition thread.
12. Raffle entry and donating the money raised to a charity.
13. Update your MASA status or custom title to I LIKE "SPONSOR NAME" for the duration of the competition.
14. Link your favourite masa member tank build thread in the competition thread.

Maybe some of this could be ideas for an expo/convention/frag swop...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lets see those DIY innovations.....every reefer has some DIY contraption running on their tank.

A second idea, this one is a little harder for people who have never had tanks, but what are the "must have" fish in your tank.

If you shut down today and had to start over, what fish are you commited to track down and add.

As you experoence the different fish you quickly learn if the are keepers.

Back
Top Bottom