You guys are really making me sick!

How to check stray voltage

@Achilles and all the others who do not know how to check for stray voltage

25074f6b19901c78f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Safe solution for checking and for working in the water

This is what I mentioned in the beginning.
That should allow you to be safe when working in the water, only when Switch 2 is on!
Switch 1 on and switch 2 off, will allow you to measure your stray voltage any time.

25074f6b1d704a559.jpg

Yup 100%, that way there is no chance of electrolysis taking place between any leaking current and earth.

The down side is that a faulty pump will go undetected until you switch the ground probe on. That will mean that electrolysis will take place between the live and neutral until the fault is discovered.

So what is realy needed is a combination of the two. I will have to think on that one as i am not sure how it can be done.

Last edited:
Yup 100%, that way there is no chance of electrolysis taking place between any leaking current and earth.

The down side is that a faulty pump will go undetected until you switch the ground probe on. That will mean that electrolysis will take place between the live and neutral until the fault is discovered.

That is why you should leave the voltmeter connected like in the picture and check once per day the stray voltage.

I rather have electrolysis for a few hours, instead of just a grounded tank, where I will never know what is going on until the main trips.

Agreed. I did an edit on my post while you were replying. Will think about a solution.

Just saw it now. But isn't what I posted the solution?
I'm sure there will be some gadget possible to make, the sends out an alarm, when stray voltage is higher than the setting. As an example, more than 20 Volt.
Even though I think that 20 Volt is way to much. If I re-connect my ground probe, the PH will drop by 0.1. Meaning electrolysis is present and producing hydrochloric acid, besides the bleach.

Just throwing a question out there? what happens if someone like your child touches the tank or water etc while you not around?

Just saw it now. But isn't what I posted the solution?
I'm sure there will be some gadget possible to make, the sends out an alarm, when stray voltage is higher than the setting. As an example, more than 20 Volt.
Even though I think that 20 Volt is way to much. If I re-connect my ground probe, the PH will drop by 0.1. Meaning electrolysis is present and producing hydrochloric acid, besides the bleach.

I doubt this happens for the reason you think. How long does it take for the pH to drop. This could be caused by your proble acting as a earth itself. Try disconnecting the earth from the plug of your pH meter, just to test.

I forget to switch my ATU back on after a water change. Sometimes before.

There is no way that I will remember to flick that switch before I touch the water. Even for feeding.

Stupid question, asked, but no definite answer given. A faulty pump,how much milliAmp does it push out? Should the earth leakage not trip. Nemo Janitor mentioned 10-100mA for 40 to 100 milliseconds.

If Luckyfish earth leakage did not trip, then the ground probe to earth leakage is not right. As said earlier, that pump pushed 200V for a considerate time span.

Or what is it that I'm missing?

I doubt this happens for the reason you think. How long does it take for the pH to drop. This could be caused by your proble acting as a earth itself. Try disconnecting the earth from the plug of your pH meter, just to test.

I don't doubt that it all. My PH was 8.18 constant, +- 0.1
After I disconnected the ground probe, the PH went up over many hours to 8.28.

Just throwing a question out there? what happens if someone like your child touches the tank or water etc while you not around?

A point where we should work on a solution.
But what do you think is the percentage of reefers who have their tanks grounded?
Herkie surely didn't. That tells me already that any newbie is running their system also without ground probe.

Last edited:
Experiment with 230V AC

I just did the experiment with 230V AC. L and N connected to the probes.
I expected a result that would be worse then the 19 V DC from yesterday.
Due to full power, the amps could flow easily. But the it was really scary and not a chance for a picture.
The video says it all. I switched on and off and on again. You will hear it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I forget to switch my ATU back on after a water change. Sometimes before.

There is no way that I will remember to flick that switch before I touch the water. Even for feeding.

Stupid question, asked, but no definite answer given. A faulty pump,how much milliAmp does it push out? Should the earth leakage not trip. Nemo Janitor mentioned 10-100mA for 40 to 100 milliseconds.

If Luckyfish earth leakage did not trip, then the ground probe to earth leakage is not right. As said earlier, that pump pushed 200V for a considerate time span.

Or what is it that I'm missing?

That is the point I'm missing too.
Now the electricians have to come up with a solution on how I can test the amps, when I connect my ground probe again.

I just did the experiment with 230V AC. L and N connected to the probes.
I expected a result that would be worse then the 19 V DC from yesterday.
Due to full power, the amps could flow easily. But the it was really scary and not a chance for a picture.
The video says it all. I switched on and off and on again. You will hear it. ;)

Electrolysis in brine.avi - YouTube
Marcel you are crazy. That is highly dangerous. Those bubbles are H2 and O2. Rocket fuel my friend.

Marcel you are crazy. That is highly dangerous. Those bubbles are H2 and O2. Rocket fuel my friend.

Don't you think I know that? Electrolysis done in tap water will result in bubbles. On the one side hydrogen gas and on the other oxygen.

Somebody has to do something here so that we can find a solution.

So knowing that, you shouldn't be surprised when I tell you, that I picked up a puff adder with my hand. And she wasn't dead at all.
And yes, the people said the very same thing. "Are you crazy?"
I said, "No, I'm German!" :lol:

A point where we should work on a solution.
But what do you think is the percentage of reefers who have their tanks grounded?
Herkie surely didn't. That tells me already that any newbie is running their system also without ground probe.

My bet is that in Herkie's case there was no grounding probe. He was insulated with shoes and put his hand in the water close to where there was a faulty electrical apparatus. The electricity then passed through his body electrocuting him. The earth leakage would not have tripped because he was insulated to earth. The earth leakage would only have tripped when he made contact with ground/earth. By that time it was to late. But then it could also have been a faulty earth leakage breaker.

In that 220v experiment you did if you had have put your hand in the water and were wearing insulating shoes you two would have gotten a shock and being electrocuted and the earth leakage would not have tripped. If you had been barefoot the earth leakage would have tripped saving your life.

My bet is that in Herkie's case there was no grounding probe. He was insulated with shoes and put his hand in the water close to where there was a faulty electrical apparatus. The electricity then passed through his body electrocuting him. The earth leakage would not have tripped because he was insulated to earth. The earth leakage would only have tripped when he made contact with ground/earth. By that time it was to late. But then it could also have been a faulty earth leakage breaker.

In that 220v experiment you did if you had have put your hand in the water and were wearing insulating shoes you two would have gotten a shock and being electrocuted and the earth leakage would not have tripped. If you had been barefoot the earth leakage would have tripped saving your life.

I was barefoot, but I'm not crazy enough to put my hands into that reactor thing. i was to shit scared to leave the power on for a while. As you can see in the video.
That is why I put that jar onto styrofoam.

This threads result should provide a safe solution for the reefer and all inhabitants.
If that will be somehow possible to do so.

Don't you think I know that? Electrolysis done in tap water will result in bubbles. On the one side hydrogen gas and on the other oxygen.

No not quite correct. That is only the case if DC voltage is used.

If AC voltage is used then both H2 and O2 are produced on the same probes.

What you were seeing in that experiment was the H2 and O2 being ignite by the heat of the reaction and exploding.

Now can you imagine a pump, the faulty one you had, doing that in your tank.

No not quite correct. That is only the case if DC voltage is used.

If AC voltage is used then both H2 and O2 are produced on the same probes.

What you were seeing in that experiment was the H2 and O2 being ignite by the heat of the reaction and exploding.

Now can you imagine a pump, the faulty one you had, doing that in your tank.

Actually, when you use brine, it doesn't matter if it's AC or DC. Gas only comes up on one probe. Haven't done a tap water experiment with AC, might be different.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom