Pulsing Zenia's growing out of conrol!

Reaction score
Could anybody perhaps tell me how to keep control of pulsing zenia's? They are really beautiful, but they are starting to take over my tank and I would like to bring them under control before they smother everything in my tank. :blush:

Frag viciously and swap out for stinging coral which you can then place in amongst them to subdue their growth!

But generally they like a nutrient rich system.

Frag viciously and swap out for stinging coral which you can then place in amongst them to subdue their growth!

But generally they like a nutrient rich system.

How do I frag the zenia's, do I just cut them off the rocks with a sharp blade and then glue onto a stone? Sorry, I have not fragged before so I don't know what to do.

I had my water checked, was totally clean, no sign of excessive nutrients other than the zenia's going bos.

Your water would read as clean simply cos they're thriving off the excess nutrients, it's like an algae problem. Like Lesley suggested, frag 'em and swap for corals you don't have. No need to glue, tie fragged pice to rock with thread or elastic bands and they'll attach themselves within a week.

Last edited:
Oh and yes, frag by simply cutting off the rock with a sharp blade or pointed tip scissor, try cut just beneath the surface they're attached to so it makes easier for you to mount to new rocks/plugs. Good luck

Oh and yes, frag by simply cutting off the rock with a sharp blade or pointed tip scissor, try cut just beneath the surface they're attached to so it makes easier for you to mount to new rocks/plugs. Good luck

thanks, will try it out.

Ja there is no care needed to frag the stuff. I found I had to put it were it couldnt touch any thing else like on top of the rock work or else on a piece of rock in the middle of nowhere. And then it still drops off pieces

What has worked for me in the past to get rid of them was to cut them off as close to the base as possible the remove the piece (throw it away or give it away etc) then use Red Sea Aptasia-X and inject and cover the place it was attached. Leave you pumps off while doing this. Then after about 10 mins siphon off the Aptasia-x and the foot of the pulsing xenia (it will have melted so to speak)
The trick is to repeat the application of the aptasia-x in about 4 days and then again in another 4 days as it leaves tiny traces of itself behind on the rock after the initial application which are enough to grow back. Simply cover the area they were attached each time. I managed to eradicate it completely in my pico using this method.

Be careful when cutting it though as all it needs is one leaf/polyp to be cut off accidentally and float somewhere else in the tank and it will soon establish itself where it lands...

Back
Top Bottom