How to run ozone?

Viper, the best way to add O3 if you do not run it through a skimmer is to just run a length (5m - 20m) of (ozone resistant) plastic tubing (say 10 - 15mm diameter, but the diameter is not serious as long as you have a reasonable water flow...) coiled wherever convenient. Just add the O3 through a venturi-type opening in the pump outlet, or directly into the tubing using a small screw-in hose-barb (as used for drip irrigation) - the O3 will have to be under pressure from a decent air pump, else the back pressure of the water in the tubing will cause the water to want to flow out of the O3 inlet (and the longer the tubing, the larger this back pressure becomes).

The O3 will react with the organics in the water, and if the tubing is long enough then all the O3 will be used up. This way, you won't need any "air filter", but it would still be advisable to discharge the water through some carbon to remove toxic substances such as bromide which is formed during the ozone reactions with pollutants.

Hennie

warr read the links to the articles shaun posted there are some pretty good reasons but id mainly recomend it be used for systems housing fish for resale.. it would be greatly beneficial to those systems..

warr read the links to the articles shaun posted there are some pretty good reasons but id mainly recomend it be used for systems housing fish for resale.. it would be greatly beneficial to those systems..

I will check it out. But is it really a "must-have" for a system, or just another toy ? Speaking to loads of gurus I am amazed how many of them don't run all the stuff that is consistently promoted.

Also it has been mentioned that O³ can be very dangerous to a system, if it goes wrong.

I'm wanting to run it for a specific purpose, a project I want to try, it's not for my reeftank.

Anywhere near the spot is in the zone - good enough for me:p

cool, ozone imo should be used where there is a more frequent threat of disease eg: public aquarium, abalone/fish farm etc so basically where water is being pulled from a sorce where its pathogen level fluctuates.. as for home use i think its a luxury.. i have read it to be the best thing ever in one persons opinion to a toy in anothers. i suppose it boils down to the individuals opinion and intended purpose.

Is it vital to use an airpump to push air through the ozoniser or will the suction through the venturi on the skimmer pump be enough to pull the ozone through?

Dean, the venturi will do the job, no need for the air pump.

Dean, if you are running probiotics then I wouldn't run any ozone or UV. I'm not to fond of ozone and the cons far outweigh the pros. I add a little potassium permangeanate to my sump once a week which serves the same purpose although I want to stop that because of the probiotics as both are indiscriminate oxidisers.

Dean, if you are running probiotics then I wouldn't run any ozone or UV. I'm not to fond of ozone and the cons far outweigh the pros. I add a little potassium permangeanate to my sump once a week which serves the same purpose although I want to stop that because of the probiotics as both are indiscriminate oxidisers.
Ok, thanks Tony.

If you want to experiment with something why not drip peroxide slowly into the reaction chamber of your skimmer using one of those drop counters one finds on drips and airline tube. Peroxide is an oxidiser which breaks down into water and oxygen, a whole less dangerous

Back
Top Bottom