How to run ozone?

Have you already begun using Ozone on your system Viper?

Wanting it for new fish coming in - desiese control- wanting a alternative for Copper in quarantine tanks ?

I have one tank running with the controller and all that i think is needed and set it on 450 ?

Yes - going through a Berlin extra length - only just put it on , so redrox is on 330 now , still rising - will see whats its on tomorrow .

so , whats the word - will it work ?

Yup. :thumbup:

I take it you are setting up separate systems for "QT / Landing" "Holding" "Treatment" "coral" etc...

I would suggest the use of UV as well on the QT and landing tanks.

On your holding tanks for fish just run UV.

Last edited:
Yup. :thumbup:

I take it you are setting up separate systems for "QT / Landing" "Holding" "Treatment" "coral" etc...

I would suggest the use of UV as well on the QT and landing tanks.

On your holding tanks for fish just run UV.

Well we run 3 setups for coral only...

6 setups for fish only , sometimes extra coral gets put into 2 of them for a few weeks...

In a separate room, 5 tanks with copper for fish just arrived.

But i wanted to put the ozone ( and U.V ) on one of the fish only tanks if things didn't look great , or i get a break out of something .
I wanted this setup (of equipment ) to be portable so that i can move it from tank to tank if need be and rent it out if a customer needed it for a week or two as a treatment.

Still good ?

Ok i see what you trying to do. Sounds good. I would try (if budget allows) to do all the systems in time. One permanently on your landing system which i feel is a must.

Then do a second portable one. You will see a dramatic decrease in the number of fatalities on the systems running Ozone and UV.

Thanks for that - i will dedicate a single tank for this and once iv seen the proof as such , slip another set into action ( and so on and so on.... )

Appreciated
David

And now ? :whistling:

Ive just started using ozone at work , so wanted to know how it went for you ?
:) 2 years down the road and I'm still not using it.:p I bought a 2nd hand ozone generator and set it up for a while, but I was too scared to carry on running it without a redox controller so took it off and I've just never got around to buying the controller and setting it up again.

( I just answered a question to a post i read , but on the wrong page... , if your board ,read on or ignore , but ill leave it here anyway. lol )

Hi , well ours has now been running for about a week now.
First had is running through a air stone went from 197 to 209mv i was so exited - then it stopped...

Put the air stone under the sun sun and it shot up quickly ( at least i know higher was possible )
Opened a TS1 and the numbers climbed to 240mv.

I then put the ozone through a berlin extra lenth and it took 36 hours to get to 360mv - no problem with the livestock - in fact the slightly overstocked anemone tank cleared up beautifully and they all opened fully.

I set up the controler and now its running at 400mv , but i notus each time i put in food /r.o water or when i dosed with iodine there is a sudern +- 30mv drop and it takes about 2 hours to recover.

the mv also drops at night , but once the tank has been " cleaned" with ozone - each time you use it - the rise is faster.

Im not using carbon at the moment , but will put it in the water tomorrow.

I dont now much more than what i have experienced , but so far its great, but i feel the controler is nesesery.
I wish they were cheaper though.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds scary to me and I can see myself getting over eager and wiping my everything out. So nice to have all the wise and clever reefers on the forum to help keep me out of trouble.

( I just answered a question to a post i read , but on the wrong page... , if your board ,read on or ignore , but ill leave it here anyway. lol )

Hi , well ours has now been running for about a week now.
First had is running through a air stone went from 197 to 209mv i was so exited - then it stopped...

Put the air stone under the sun sun and it shot up quickly ( at least i know higher was possible )
Opened a TS1 and the numbers climbed to 240mv.

I then put the ozone through a berlin extra lenth and it took 36 hours to get to 360mv - no problem with the livestock - in fact the slightly overstocked anemone tank cleared up beautifully and they all opened fully.

I set up the controler and now its running at 400mv , but i notus each time i put in food /r.o water or when i dosed with iodine there is a sudern +- 30mv drop and it takes about 2 hours to recover.

the mv also drops at night , but once the tank has been " cleaned" with ozone - each time you use it - the rise is faster.

Im not using carbon at the moment , but will put it in the water tomorrow.

I dont now much more than what i have experienced , but so far its great, but i feel the controler is nesesery.
I wish they were cheaper though.

David

Hi David, dont you think its better for a LFS not to run Ozone as the livestock will eventually go to reefers who run systems without ozone, so wont this cause more stress to the livestock.

Im in the testing phase at the moment - already discussed things through that it could be used as a " treatment ".

But even so - no , i wouldn't personally think it would be a problem - if used correctly , it could be used to freshen the water and to monitor drop in water quality -
the only problem you as a customer could think me keeping my water in a clinical state , would be, if i run a absolute sterile system for 6 months or longer and the fish looses its immunity to bacteria and viruses.
Then when you purchase the fish and he could pic up something in your water....

We never keep fish for long enough for that to happen( if that's even possible ) and im sure you as a customer whould like the reasurence that all has been done to keep your possible purchase healthy.

Well we run 3 setups for coral only...

6 setups for fish only , sometimes extra coral gets put into 2 of them for a few weeks...

In a separate room, 5 tanks with copper for fish just arrived.

But i wanted to put the ozone ( and U.V ) on one of the fish only tanks if things didn't look great , or i get a break out of something .
I wanted this setup (of equipment ) to be portable so that i can move it from tank to tank if need be and rent it out if a customer needed it for a week or two as a treatment.

Still good ?

Point taken - I think its good for treatment tanks

There is definitely a gap in the market for a LFS to quarantine all fish for at least two weeks before selling to reefers to raise the bar. Reefers are also to blame cos they also cant wait to snatch the best stock for themselves without full acclimation and quarantine.

If the LFS can amortise the profit on stock turnover for 2 weeks, then I think this can be achieved with the slightest of increase in price to allow for this once off 2 week cycle.

Im in the testing phase at the moment - already discussed things through that it could be used as a " treatment ".

But even so - no , i wouldn't personally think it would be a problem - if used correctly , it could be used to freshen the water and to monitor drop in water quality -
the only problem you as a customer could think me keeping my water in a clinical state , would be, if i run a absolute sterile system for 6 months or longer and the fish looses its immunity to bacteria and viruses.
Then when you purchase the fish and he could pic up something in your water....

We never keep fish for long enough for that to happen( if that's even possible ) and im sure you as a customer whould like the reasurence that all has been done to keep your possible purchase healthy.

@oceanseeker ozone raises the redox potential of the water, here is a link from A Thiel redox

Back
Top Bottom