Choices choices......

With a 300 high tank and water level at 280 the fish going to jump out. I like the 700 high tank with water level at 600. Reason why people going shallow because the t5 cannot punch deep like a halide.

I have tested T5's WITH a par meter and they do just fine at 600mm depth perhaps you can give us links to why you have this opinion?

Here's my take on T5's. I have been running them on my 600 deep SPS tank. I have never seen better growth on my corals, not even with 250W Halides. And my bulbs are now 1.5years old. Even my corals right at the bottom are growing extremely fast. (I should have said "were" as I lost most of my corals now).

Mek I changed from 8x54w T5's to 3x250w MH on my 1500x850x700 and it was the worst thing I ever did...

i think the second option would be great, and t5's will do fine over the tank without worries about penertration into the water collum. are you aiming at mixed reef or sps dominated?

Thanx crispin, I am not a big SPS fan (not sure why...I think I like the movement of softies) , so was thinking in that direction

WOW this thread turned funny !

T5's in a artical in coral magazine,were better all rounders then MH,they recon the tech going into T5's far outways the MH,dont'y know if this is true.They had better coral growth,color etc,just trying to find the magazine and will give you what issue.Simms you are correct in what you say as far as depth, they will go to 600 deep with good results(if not better then MH)

Ok I would like to hear some comments or suggestions as I really cant make up my mind.

I have space for any of the two tanks....but sadly not both !

Option 1

Cube 650 sq x 500 h

Option 2

Shallow type setup 1500 x 700 x 300 high

Stocking options is also something you can comment on

Personally i will get bored of the small 65cm tank within a few weeks. the 150cm tank has more potential. Keep all the liverock in the sump and only have large colonies of corals in the display. You could get away with adding a small zebrasoma but has to be a show piece as you are a bit limited.

ha from opinions in regards to tank size to the t5 MH debate these are the days of MASA hahahaha, keep it that way gents makes for great reading.

we forgetting that the 150 tank is 70 wide and that width makes a huge difference. i think that 28 h is pushing it close but u have lotsa space for great coral islands. get a couple of small pin cushions, and let thm grw. with the usual gsp,xenia, etc

a flame angel or any of the other dwarf angels
smalll zebrasoma that dont get too big like scopas or yellow would be great
5 chromis
couple of apogens and u set.

I think shallow tank will be great.
It will need lots of bright zoas, a few tree type softies (eps cladellia), a clam section and an anemone.
Fish wise..id avoid the zebrasomas. Rather have a dwarf angel or two as the show fish, then add lots of interesting nano type fish like gobies etc.

ha from opinions in regards to tank size to the t5 MH debate these are the days of MASA hahahaha, keep it that way gents makes for great reading.

we forgetting that the 150 tank is 70 wide and that width makes a huge difference. i think that 28 h is pushing it close but u have lotsa space for great coral islands. get a couple of small pin cushions, and let thm grw. with the usual gsp,xenia, etc

a flame angel or any of the other dwarf angels
smalll zebrasoma that dont get too big like scopas or yellow would be great
5 chromis
couple of apogens and u set.

LOL ziyaad ...days of MASA.

I know 28 h is pushing it , that is about the lowest I have found on the web, althouogh I must say that is one AMAZING tank.

Like your LS ideas as well, the only thing I am now contemplating is substrate...I would have to see if it gets blown around by the Tunze

Personally i will get bored of the small 65cm tank within a few weeks. the 150cm tank has more potential. Keep all the liverock in the sump and only have large colonies of corals in the display. You could get away with adding a small zebrasoma but has to be a show piece as you are a bit limited.

Thanx keyaam, I am also worried that I might get bored with the small tank....been there done that type of thing ;)

I will have a 1,5 mtr sump as well (I think) so loads of space for LR , DSB etc

I think shallow tank will be great.
It will need lots of bright zoas, a few tree type softies (eps cladellia), a clam section and an anemone.
Fish wise..id avoid the zebrasomas. Rather have a dwarf angel or two as the show fish, then add lots of interesting nano type fish like gobies etc.
nice ideas, except frans isnt allowed nennies. he's abused enough in his past:p

Back
Top Bottom