Anemone Advise needed

Good advice so far - just to summarize:

• Try to place it on a "pedestal" rock, close to the surface - it will get more light there.
  • Even though the water flow could be more, it should be OK if it is "chaotic" - have the power heads directed towards each other, to create eddies and irregular water movement. DON'T aim a power head directly at the anemone, though...
  • Once it has settled, try to vary what you feed it. A more natural diet would be pieces of fresh fish and pieces of shrimps or prawns (with shell, intestines, etc.)
  • Make sure that it "smokes" (expels the remains of the previous meal...) before you feed it again - every 3-4 days should be OK.
Hennie

Hi Guys,

Have tried all the advise over the last few days. My nennie is adiment that it does not want to attach to anything in my tank! I made a nice place on top of my rocks, nicely positioned for the best light and about 15cm below the water service. directed the flow from the power heads to "skim over" him. he attached for a while. next morning was floating around the tank! I then decided to leave him and see what happens assuming he would find a place of his choice to settle in!! Not happening!!! At this stage (for the last 3 days) he is just "parking off" at the bottom to one side of my tank not attached to anything, slowly swirling around. He does "open" and bask in the light when it comes on like it used to, i have not fed him for 5 days now. Any advise please...would rather get hi what is needed...even if its not in my tank!

You may need to switch the powerheads off for a little while to give the nem a chance to get a hold.

Hi Crispin,

Was really stressed the last week and eventually left it to nature to take its course! He has kind of semi-attached at the bottom of the tank slap bang in the middle...makes feeding a bit hard (which I will try later today for the 1st time in 10 days or so) there. He was just swirling around for quiet a few days...so glad he has eventually come to rest?!?!! My Hermit crab is now a permanant resident in my sump. Will let you know how the feed goes tonight!! made some changes to current flow in th tank that seems to me better...added cheato (to my sump) a few days ago too. Lets hold thumbs the nennie eats tonight...will be a good sign he is settling again! Any tips on feeding him?

Hi inflames,
Please keep us all updated as I too have had a tough time keep nemmies and learning lots from this thread.

well inflames to be honest i would answer that as they are predominatley photosynthetic, having him settle ANYWHERE is better than any feeding you can do. But feeding is def a high priority.

sorry i havent read back, what are you feeding and HOW? as in whats the processes you prepare the food.

sump is a good place for hermit for now:)

Hi inflames,
Please keep us all updated as I too have had a tough time keep nemmies and learning lots from this thread.
SeanB most tanka are their own creations and with things like nennies I would say that each is individual, why not post a thread on your nennie and your expereineces (as well as reading through threads like this) so we can try help yours too:)

greg the fact that he is settled somewhere oppsed to random floating and swirling around the tank IS A GOOD THING! feeding in the middle of the tank shouldnt be a problem, do you ahve marine tongs to target feed with, or do you use your hand?

I feed by hand! I read somewhere that they will not accept food from unnatural sources and that I need to simulate movment of fish or whatever being caught to induce the feeding and stinging action from the nennnie. He has subsequently up and moved again...has settled behind a rock in the one corner of the tank...still not attached! Any advise?!?!?!?

shess inflames we need to get that nennie settled, its a time bomb, foam or noit around those intakes :(

what are your latest water parameters?

feeding by hand seems like a silly idea, assuming you dont have nicotine soaked fingers, there will always be lots of substances on your hands that arent good for nennies. I would ratehr get a pair of marine tongs (inexpensive and very useful for all sorts of jobs)

what did he last feed on and is he smoking a few days after you feed?

greg, just offer the piece of food to the nennie gently, if he is hungry he will fold over and accept it. perhaps trying to stimulate the struggling of a fish is irratating him and causing the nennie to move again. although personally i think its more water quality related, hence the need to test again.

All water parameters I checked 2 days ago an all was great...nothing out of wack at all. Dont smoke so no nicotene on my fingers!! not sure about other stuff...obviously try to minimise contamination as musch as possible...he last fed about 10 days ago and he did "smoke" after that...I will see if I can get some marine feeding tongs today. Problem is the frozen squid and so on I feed him I thaw before feeding and they just end up going everywhere unless I hold it together between my fingers?!?! Maybe I need to get something more "solid" like prawn to feed him?

if he takes squid feed him squid, but those tongs will amke your life far better.

not to disagree with you but can you test again tonight and post both sets for the guys to look at?

somethings out of wack. that we know simply by the fact that nennie wont settle two weeks into this thread. Those lights are very dim as well, i am not certain that they are sufficient for a nennie, which is predominatley photosynthetic.

can u get us a pic of it?

I will take pics tonight and post them...need to get my camera down to the smallest size pic so it will upload! I will also test again...I am due for a water change this weekend...maybe will do a 40% change as apposed to the normal 10%. I do this every 2 weeks...is it enough? I also bought new T5 tubes over last weekend that I Installed. On that note...would it be better to add another 2 x 39watt T5 or just add a 150watt MH?

how easily can u add a MH? personally i really like the light that t5's gives,a nd the diversity of k ratings one can use, but i think a 150w might be a better option for you.

do try post pic.

out of intrest what camera are you using. most of mine are taken with a cannon 400d and then resized (800x640 would work), masa takes them fine:)

just a thought, i am in the same situation as inflames. so i'm begining to think it might actually just be a 'bad batch of nennies that came in.
i left mine to do its own thing. its not accepting food. and on moving it it happily went back to the same place it first settled in.

heres what i've been thinking. you know those guppy breading traps? ie. plastic hang on that allows water thru?
by placing the nennie in it and hanging it near the surface, he can't escape under a rock and you are forcing him to stay out in the open light. he is also very close to the surface, so light will be at its best.
also with regard to feeding.

mine isn't eating anything and yet still has very sticky tenticles? so i think it is reasonable health even tho it is badly bleached.

my second idea, not a good idea and by all means a real last resort is to finely cut up shrimp, fish etc. add a little water and make a sort of paste... then VERY VERY carefully, using a syringe force feed it.
trust me, i know that it has been said that it is a daft thing to do.
but lets say to only inject 2 or 3 mls every 2nd day?
and all you have to be careful in doing in not damaging him in inserting they syringe into his mouth. and not to inject to fast as to rip him with the current?

its a nasty sorta force feeding method that i had been dreaming up if things really take a turn for the worst..

hope things go well inflames. nennies can be very difficult to keep. and i think they are a real hit or miss. i have a magnifica that is thriving in my tank! doubled in size!
and this bleached crispa that is bleached.. and that i am currently to get back into shape.

Back
Top Bottom