My Nano ... has started ! (Finally)

Reaction score
Hello to all,

After two months of planning, much deliberation and some modifications, I have finally started up my Nano.:slayer:

Firstly, a very big thank you to all MASA members for your input and invaluable advice.
It is truly appreciated.

Not much to show as yet, since water was only added last night, but here goes anyway.
OK, so the setup is as follows:

Boyu TL450 Nano
Salt used : Real Ocean
pH, NH3, NO2, NO3 test kits : Tropic Marin
PO4 test kit : ELOS
Skimmer : Boyu standard
Additional mech. filtration : Filter floss
Chemical filtration : Chemi-Pure Elite
Circulation : 1 x Resun SP1200 (700 l/h) in filter compartment , 1 x Resun SP1200 (700 l/h) in the display tank.

1. Sealing up all water gates except the topmost one:

P1020164.jpg

Complete with water.

The spraybar is generating a lot of turbulence and air bubbles in the tank. Will need to trim the pump a bit to reduce the number of bubbles. At present all you see is turbulence and bubbles in the water.

Will see if my little Resun 700l/h powerhead will be sufficient for circulation in the display tank.

P1020198.jpg

P1020199.jpg

P1020201.jpg

P1020193.jpg

So, just to recap quickly:

The filter compartments at the back contain the following:

1st compartment : Filter floss , UV sterilizer
2nd compartment : Skimmer ( Still need to set and adjust this a bit)
3rd compartment : For now only the heater. Will perhaps add some LR rubble later
4th compartment : Chemi-Pure elite , Resun SP1200 powerhead connected to spraybar.

Being ever cautious and analytical about this hobby, I measured the water parameters of the RO water before mixing the salt water solution ( Just in case there were a few nasties in the water)

Water parameters were :
ph = 7.7
Ammonia = 0.2
KH = 6
Nitrate : Less than 5
Nitrite : Less than 0.05
PO4 = 0

I'll post more pics once the LR is added on Friday.

Cool Apollo! Nice mods! That skimmer is "ok" - but I would not totally rely on it, if I was you....

BUT - nice to see your nano coming together, at last!

Thanks jaquesb !

Yes, I am a little mistrustful of that skimmer. Will see how it performs in the next week or so. Otherwise it will be ripped out and replaced .

If I may ask, why did you move the spraybar above the water level? You're going to get a lot of salt creep...

If I may ask, why did you move the spraybar above the water level? You're going to get a lot of salt creep...

Tobes: Main reason for moving the spraybar was to agitate the water surface vigorously. I suppose a pump could have done the same thing, but I actually quite like the turbulence created by the spraybar.

I do realise that the trade off is having a lot of salt creep.
I will still be adjusting the pump output to slow down the spray a little.

Will watch the salt creep carefully. If too much, I can always reposition the spraybar to it's original location

So, just to recap quickly:

The filter compartments at the back contain the following:

1st compartment : Filter floss , UV sterilizer
2nd compartment : Skimmer ( Still need to set and adjust this a bit)
3rd compartment : For now only the heater. Will perhaps add some LR rubble later
4th compartment : Chemi-Pure elite , Resun SP1200 powerhead connected to spraybar.

Being ever cautious and analytical about this hobby, I measured the water parameters of the RO water before mixing the salt water solution ( Just in case there were a few nasties in the water)

Water parameters were :
ph = 7.7
Ammonia = 0.2
KH = 6
Nitrate : Less than 5
Nitrite : Less than 0.05
PO4 = 0

I'll post more pics once the LR is added on Friday.

These will change when you add the LR. You will get an ammonia spike and then nitrites will go up and then nitrates etc. Only add a clean up crew once ammonia, nitrites are 0 and nitrates 0 or very very close to 0. Cycle the tank for at least 4 weeks. And remember when you add you CUC after 4 weeks that gastropods (snails) are very sensitive to temp and salinity changes, so acclimatise them properly ;)

Be patient and you'll reap the fruit of your labour and o ja, congrats :)

Apollo what you could do it place the spray bar under the water surface and point horizontally, that will also disturb the water and you wont get as much salt creep. But you seem to know what you are wantin to do already which is good:thumbup: good luck with the start of the tank

Apollo what you could do it place the spray bar under the water surface and point horizontally, that will also disturb the water and you wont get as much salt creep. But you seem to know what you are wantin to do already which is good:thumbup: good luck with the start of the tank

Hey Scuba, thanks for the suggestion.
I actually hadn't thought of that option. Just goes to show :If you are too closely focusing on a solution you end up missing the forest for the trees .... He he he

looking really nice there apollo, so nice to see a tank comming together :)

Thanks Crispin,

Still need to do some adjustments to the skimmer and position the internal powerhead correctly in the tank for maximum flow efficiency.
Other than that I am really really excited to finally have some progress.
Can't wait to add the live rock on Friday .

Hi Apollo - Nice work dude

I run the TL550 - Heres some of my experiences

Try to mod the spraybar @ your waterlevel and point 5degrees up - great agregation and less saltcreep, with your mod you'll have MEGA saltcreep

I also have 4 filterchamber - 1st filterwool changed every 3 days
2nd Chemipure elite on an eggcrate base about 5 cm from bottom
3rd heater
4th 3 pumps-(1000l/hr powerheads) 1 to spraybar, 1 goes to first chamber to decrease deteris from staying in chambers and third to the displayside,

No skimmer and no sterilizer - you'll find over tim they contibute very liitle other than requiring constant fiddling.

In tanks I have Seios, 1 m820, 1 m620 and one prop 530 - giving me over 100 times waterturnover! Very NB IMHO

Then there is a mod on the lighting - moved arounfd to carry 3x24JBJ 10 000k PL

The tank runs great with a very heavy bioload and even SPS growth, only problem is keeping temp down - I use a BIG fan but need a chiller.

The boyus are great units and will provide you with lotsa fun!

Good luck! Keep the pics rowling . . .

Back
Top Bottom