My Nano ... has started ! (Finally)

Thanks for the input Christiaan.

Ja, the more I think about the spraybar, the more I'm inclined to move it more parallel to the water surface.
Already I'm wondering about the sterelizer. I noticed last night that the flow from first chamber to the skimmer chamber is loads better if I remove the sterelizer.

My skimmer is not foaming properly yet ( May also be due to the fact that there is not much to skim as yet ?) so I have to constantly fiddle with the regulator valve.

Will do some more work tonight. I'd like to have the system running properly before adding LR later in the week.

Just worried about adding a pump with an output greater than 1000l/h. I'm using playsand ( approx 35mm deep) as substrate and I noticed last night that even the 700l/h powerhead stirrs up the sand, if the flow is directed too close to the bottom.

Looks good. Your skimmer will take a few days to settle in before it starts skimming.

The spray bar needs to be changed a bit, you will find you will get a lot of salt creep building up on your lights and this will degrade their performance quite a bit.

apollo if youd like some live sand to seed your bed with you welcome to take some from my dt:)

Hey Crispin,

Many thanks for the offer. Yip, I 'll take you up on it. Would be good to seed my substrate a bit.
Please PM me your cell number, so I can check with you what day would suit for me to come collect some sand. :thumbup:

Ok, so I decided to change the positioning of the spraybar a bit.

Scuba, Christiaan : Your idea of positioning the bar horizontally works a charm.
Next round of beers is on me !:peroni:

Repositioned spraybar & pic of tank after repositioning the bar:

P1020218.jpg

P1020221.jpg

Quick question:

Currrently only have the spraybar running in my new tank with substrate. Still sorting out which pump to use for improving flow.

Now, even with just the spraybar creating flow, my substrate is starting to shift from the corners and ends up being piled in the middle. I'm using playsand with particle size of approx 0.5 - 1.5 mm.

Is this a concern, or something I shouldn't worry about too much ?

P1020219.jpg

P1020220.jpg

Playsand is fine and it will shift slightly with flow. This is going to happen when you put in more pumps (which you must as that spraybar won't be sufficient). Remember that when there is rock in there it will divert the flow etc so it shouldn't be a problem.

Get some live rock ASAP - that puppy won't start cycling till you do! ;)

Playsand is fine and it will shift slightly with flow. This is going to happen when you put in more pumps (which you must as that spraybar won't be sufficient). Remember that when there is rock in there it will divert the flow etc so it shouldn't be a problem.

Get some live rock ASAP - that puppy won't start cycling till you do! ;)

Thanks Matt,

The LR will be coming on Friday. I wanted to make sure that I've sorted out all the issues with regards to filtration, flow & skimming before adding the LR. I feel it's much easier to sort these things out now than to have to drain the tank to modify/change at a later stage.

My skimmer is still giving me some trouble. I think the flow through the filter compartments is being impeded by the filter floss and the UV sterelizer.
Will address this tonight and hopefully sort the problem out. :p

Ok, so I think I now have the skimmer sorted out. I'm not so much worried about the foaming, but it's taken 3 days to just get the skimmer "tuned" so the water level reaches the cup.
Boyu TL450's are very nice little tanks, but the standard skimmer is absolutely crappy. No instructions/manuals on how to set the skimmer.

Also added a 700 l/h pump to the DT for increased flow. Will see if this suffices.

Now just waiting to add the LR on Sunday and then this puppy can start cycling.

P1020223.jpg

P1020227.jpg

P1020229.jpg

Awesome Apollo - yeah - the skimmer looks like it might JUST work as soon as you actually place something in the water, for it to skim out..... good luck on that!

Looking forward to the updates when you add your live rock!

wow apollo thats really comming on well:) so good to see a guy who fiddles, changes, looks, evaluates and asks advice. best way to get a great system:)

i am uselss with nano's but i really like the mods you have done so far.

i think zoom has the same tank as yours and she was battling a while ago, havent seen her on for a while so i'll direct her to this thread and she can see some of the changes you have made.

as matt said, i wouldnt stress TOO much about shifting sand, all changes when you deflect it over lr and things:)

i'll pm you my number so you can come get some sand with pleasure:)

and share a beer or 6:)

wow apollo thats really comming on well:) so good to see a guy who fiddles, changes, looks, evaluates and asks advice. best way to get a great system:)

i am uselss with nano's but i really like the mods you have done so far.

i think zoom has the same tank as yours and she was battling a while ago, havent seen her on for a while so i'll direct her to this thread and she can see some of the changes you have made.

as matt said, i wouldnt stress TOO much about shifting sand, all changes when you deflect it over lr and things:)

i'll pm you my number so you can come get some sand with pleasure:)

and share a beer or 6:)

Thanks Crispin,

Looking forward to meeting you .... and sharing some beers of course ! :peroni:

Back
Top Bottom