Munky's new 1,6m

Reaction score
Hi ladies and gents.

I'm planning on setting up my 1.6m tank.:1:
This is what i've got so far.

DT : 1600mm(L) x 600mm (H) x 700mm (D)
sump : 1200mm (L) x 450mm (H) x 450 (D) Most likely gonna redo it.
Skimmer: Skimz sm161
Chiller : aquamedic 1200*something (1,25hp)
Kalkstirrer: am1000
Lighting : 150w mh (have a few fittings) + actinics

I've got no idea what i'm gonna do about filtration.
Have been dosing vodka in my current 1.2m to degrees of satisfaction.

Been keeping softies, lps and various montiporas and some other forgiving sps corals
I'm aiming to keep mostly sps in the new tank. Not a lot of fish though.

Nice.

O and we want pics!!!!

Hey man awesome size! I would say make the sump as big as you can and know what skimmer you are going to get so you can determine the water level in the sump. With my set up, I wish that my sump was bigger! With cleaning, use a blade and a water & vinegar mixture. Works like magic! That vinegar takes out all the white calcium build ups

I'm thinking that instead of redoing the existing sump.(with a possible DSB) Use that money towards a pellet reactor.

A question for the np pellet-heads out there. I will be dosing bacteria but is any additional carbon source dosing required?

im still undecided about the pellets, i see more dirt being pulled but im sure its because of all the bacteria being produced..and being skimmed out.. skimmate is very dark and smelly..

as far as i know no extra carbon sorce is needed..the main reason i went for the pellets was ease of use and no feeding to sustain the bacteria is required.. they should just subside when the available nitiate and phos are low and multiply when they rise to combat them....

im happy with the pellet reactor so far but my system is completley new so its hard to assess...

Hi ladies and gents.

I'm planning on setting up my 1.6m tank.:1:
This is what i've got so far.

DT : 1600mm(L) x 600mm (H) x 700mm (D)
sump : 1200mm (L) x 450mm (H) x 450 (D) Most likely gonna redo it.
Skimmer: Skimz sm161
Chiller : aquamedic 1200*something (1,25hp)
Kalkstirrer: am1000
Lighting : 150w mh (have a few fittings) + actinics

I've got no idea what i'm gonna do about filtration.
Have been dosing vodka in my current 1.2m to degrees of satisfaction.

Been keeping softies, lps and various montiporas and some other forgiving sps corals
I'm aiming to keep mostly sps in the new tank. Not a lot of fish though.

Mechanical filtration is very important, and if you are interested in a really good
filtration system, go to www.tunze.com and type in 3167.500 and have a look. What are you doing for circulation? Look at the Stream pumps, 6105.00.
Cheers, Anita

Got my Skimz sm161 yesterday.
I was running it in a bucket of water and vinegar.
The pump was quite noisy (sounded like a diesel engine idling). The noise went away when I played with the air and water level.
But in the process of finding the noise, I had the cup, bubble plate as well as the air intake off.
Staring down the skimmer body, into the pump, i switched it on. Needless to say I miss-judged the strength of the pump. :whistling:
With no air intake it sucked water like a hoover and within a second it sprayed a perfect ambrella of vinegar water out of the skimmer body. (just wide enough to clear the rim of the bucket.
I went to bed smelling vinegar.

The pump was quite noisy (sounded like a diesel engine idling). The noise went away when I played with the air and water level.
But in the process of finding the noise, I had the cup, bubble plate as well as the air intake off.
Staring down the skimmer body, into the pump, i switched it on. Needless to say I miss-judged the strength of the pump. :whistling:
With no air intake it sucked water like a hoover and within a second it sprayed a perfect ambrella of vinegar water out of the skimmer body. (just wide enough to clear the rim of the bucket.

lekka dude so when am i getting my TS3
:lol: @ vinegar

you dirty boy you :tt2:

the pumps can be noisy at first, it will bed in and run silently after a few hours of continious use.. same thing happened with mine but its 100% silent now.. actually had the same with my octx200 aswell.. i think its common when uitilizing a pump with a ceramic shaft..

Happy Skimming

I'm finally more or less settled in my new place and it's time to clean the tank.
Going clean up the stand and paint it with a hammertone or something.
The tank has been standing empty for +- 8 months (has +- 150mm of salt water in it.
Was thinking of stripping the silicone on the inside and redoing it. Visually it looks fine. Really do'nt want to break up the whole tank.
I've drawn the whole tank and ground floor up in sketchup. Will post tonight.

I'm faced with a dilema.
Here's the ground floor of my place. (fridge is oversized and stairs aren't the right angle).
If I place my tank in the lounge area, it wont have direct access to the RO water and I won't be able to put the chiller outside. (chiller might not be an issue at all since the ground floor's quite cool).

Putting it in the kitchen solve those problems but , then it's kinda gonna be in my kitchen.
12614e1625203dd9b.jpg

Didn't draw the front window. (Sliding door's the back)

looking at the kitchen it seems quite small for cuboard area, id be inclined to have it in the lounge and save the space asyou will need as much space as possible in kitchen, although its hard to tell size on the sketch.

I did draw all the cupboards in the kitchen (next to and over the hob).
But I think i'm gonna out it in the lounge. Just have to add a lekker big ro reservoir.
I took most of the water out of the tank. (was half full from all the rain).
Hopefully I'll be able to take it off the stand today or tomorrow so I can clean up the stand and repaint.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom