Whitespot - new sailfin and cleaner shrimp

Fist of all thanks Guys for all the Input with regards to to this thread and the help, I have been doing alot of reading up and chatting to reefers I know personally. And this is not the first time I heard that ich is in 95% of guys systems and dont even know it just needs to be managed, also heard that if a fish is "healthy"ich doesn't kill fish, the other disease kill them. Im a strong believer in that if it isn't broken don't try fix it. Im going to try manage what ever is in my RT now rather than remove fish, I think I got very unlucky with the sailfin, and makes this hobby less enjoyable loosing a good fish But im still hooked and in for the long hall.

This is what WS looks like

Yes, agreed.
But would help more if you do know the size of that fish. If a 5cm Powder brown and camera zoomed in the spots looks really big. Matured Trophonts size is about 200 to 250micron. Taking that into account I believe that this last picture is of a smaller Powder brown and zoomed in.

Ey, NJ and his homework, the link in the top post of this page is awesome. There goes my friday night reading about this stuff.

Can I use my DT water in the hospital tank?
nope. Not in your case.

Future, when you got a clean main display. You can do multiple small water changes every second day to fill the holding tanks when you do the bucket transfer method.

I prefer not to use nets in the quarantine systems. As far as possible, I use a small spider tank to catch and release.

Hospital tank ready.
Can I use my DT water in the hospital tank?

Depends but I would.

No, Your DT water is already infected, start with new water.

There are two ways to look at this. The first is that the DT water has parasites. The fish also has parasites (Note that I refer to parasites rather than WS. Reason, no positive disease ID has taken place). So if treatment is chemical then the chemical will sort out parasites in their free swimming stage.

If you are going to use the bucket method then infected water is not a good idea. The water changes need to be with new water.

Just a tip on QT tanks. It is best to to not have them level. This enables one to daily syphon the the bottom of the tank with ease. The parasites fall to the bottom of the glass bottomed tank and gravity moves them to the deepest part of the tank to be syphoned out easily.

EDIT: New water IMO is not in the best interest of the fish. It is not mature and could add extra stress to the process.

Last edited:
@Papitto What filter are going to use in your QT tank?

Is the filter media mature?

I will be running a stand alone 150L tank.
using a sponge which is sitting in my main sump at the moment. the tank I built has a built in sump area for my heater, sponge then return pump.
So I will use half DT water and half new water.
Is this okay?
Should I lower SG in the QT tank?

I will be running a stand alone 150L tank.
using a sponge which is sitting in my main sump at the moment. the tank I built has a built in sump area for my heater, sponge then return pump.
So I will use half DT water and half new water.
Is this okay?
Should I lower SG in the QT tank?

I need to understand a little more before i can help further....

What type of QT are you going imploy? and why?

I need to understand a little more before i can help further....

What type of QT are you going imploy? and why?

I'm not sure I understand your question/s?

I want to medicate all my livestock with the sailfin in the QT tank. I want to run my DT without the livestock for a month while the QT is running.
Or am I getting it wrong?

Bud I am trying to understand what your plan of action is. I understand the run the DT with out fish concept.

What do you mean by medicate? What medication are you going to use? Are you going to just put the fish in the QT tank and add a medication? Are you going to employ the bucket method? Are you going to periodically FW dip the fish?

Simply just setting up a QT tank with no plan of action on what one wants to achieve is very pointless. dumping a chemical into the QT tank can also be counter productive. You need to say i want to take this path because of XYZ. Have the test kits to measure copper if that is the rout you choose.

Just give us a brief explanation on what you plan and I will give my input and suggestions.

Last edited:
Bud I am trying to understand what your plan of action is.

What do you mean by medicate? Are you going to just put the fish in the QT tank and add a medication? Are you going to employ the bucket method? Are you going to periodically FW dip the fish?

Simply just setting up a QT tank with no plan of action on what one wants to achieve is very pointless. dumping a chemical into the QT tank can also be counter productive. You need to say i want to take this path because of XYZ. Have the test kits to measure copper if that is the rout you choose.

Just give us a brief explanation on what you plan and I will give my input and suggestions.

My plan of action.
1. Move all fish to QT for observation.
2. make sure I keep DT free of possible hosts long enough for parasites to die.
3. Use paraguard in QT as a precaution whilst observing.

No bucket method considered.

My plan of action.
1. Move all fish to QT for observation.
2. make sure I keep DT free of possible hosts long enough for parasites to die.
3. Use paraguard in QT as a precaution whilst observing.

No bucket method considered.

cool. just one comment on point 2) Careful of cross contamination.

Point 3) Paraguard is a copper treatment. Make sure you monitor the copper level for optimum results. Dont just assume the dosage on the bottle is doing the job. Also you will have to pay attention to other parameters like ammonia, nitrites, pH and salinity.

At this stage of the parasite, I would start with a fw dip, then medicate with cupramine in qt
My 2c

Agree here. I would do a FW dip then medicate monitoring parameters. Make sure your pH in the FW dip is the same as the pH in the QT tank. Also drip the fish for accumulation. I would also do a daily syphon of the tank bottom (assuming the tank is substrate free). The siphon can be done into a wad of filter mat or cotton floss, the finer the better. Just don't be lazy in discarding the used material.

Keep a bottle of bacteria handy to/or supplement the nitrification in the filter whilst medicating.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom