Which would you prefer

Reaction score
howzit people,which would you prefer, a brand new reefinmates T5 unit which has 6xT5 80w bulbs or a secondhand Aquamedic Aquasunlight unit (2x250w MH & 2 54w T5) that is in good condition with fairly new globes.

The question is which one suits your budget or which one gives best light.
that is how I reason with this.
The Aquamedic Aquasunlight unit will have the best results, depending on what you want to put in your tank. If I can argue like that?

How deep is your tank Iced666? This will be the BEST determination of which unit to go for....

The more shallow the tank - then I would go for the T5's....

If your tank is deeper (deeper than 650 to 750mm), then go for the metal halide unit.....

i took the AM option and its woking well for me, just need to scrounge for cash for 20k bulbs now

I would go for the T5 unit if money isnt an issue changing bulbs every 6 months. What is the depth of your tank, and what you planning on keeping?

Last edited:
You said the T5 unit has 80W tubes, and the MH has 54 what tubes, thus the MH unit would be physically shorter in length. I would suggest decide which fits on your tank. No point in having a unit that is too short or too long for your tank...

If your tank can house the 80W T5's, I'm with Mekaeel, unless your tank is very deep as Jacques said.

So it really boils down to a couple of things. Good lukc though!!! ;)

as above we need details of your tank dimensions and what corals u plan on keeping ??

tank is gonna be 1.5mx1mx600mm(dept).would like to keep a mix of corals and fish.

I prefer the T5 over the MH because of the heat issues with the MH. The T5 bulbs also last longer than the MH. In most standard tanks soft coral, SPS, LPS, and some anemones will do well with T5 as long as the T5 has quality individual reflectors.

Back
Top Bottom