Which T5 giesemanns to get

Hi peeps

The midday can be very effective when balancing output but on tube set up's of around 6 tubes or less it can become a little dominant giving the aquarium a yellow colour cast as mentioned. As sea water in a natural setting tends to filter out the yellow spectrum a home reef maybe left looking a little off colour. Zooxanthellae wont mind so this wont be to the detriment of your corals though.Obviously there will be personal taste involved, im not a lover of yellow light prefering a crisp white/blue.

The luminous flux of the Aquablue plus tube isnt too far behind the midday so in real terms there isnt a great gain to be had in using a midday over the Aquablue plus for output. As the midday is a yellow tube the temptation is to then balance this light with more lower output blue tubes such as the Actinic plus or pure and loosing any output advantage of the Midday tube.

Luminous flux examples 54w:

Midday 3500lm
Aquablue plus 3200lm
Aquapink 1800lm
Actinic plus 1150lm
Actinic pure 400lm

So in a 6 tube set up i would go with:

3 x Aquablue plus
2 x Actinic plus
1 x Aquapink

This would give best light output from a 6 tube set up with a crisp white/blue but offer enough blue/pink light for pop of reds and green.
Dropping an Aquablue plus for either an Actinic plus or a pure would give a more blue but at the detriment of a little output.

For set up's with 8 plus tubes a midday would become less dominant and easier to blend into the set up making it a useful tube to balance required output.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
Guys, I cannot recall what I have in my reef inmates unit, but grad I did get them. Have the 6 x t5 unit, mine is very white, would have liked a bit more blue. But have the full spectrum of color. So this I feel is better for my fish and coral.

2976bed2-1dee-2653.jpg

@crispin thanks. Having used the Giesemann tubes for many years with great sucsess its hard for me to recommend any other T5's. They are fantastic lights.
@TonyDD what do you recommend in terms of watts to liters of water I have always gone with a ratio of. 1w to 1l or slightly higher wattage what are your thoughts on this for a mixed variety of coral.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to get some new tubes! After I saw Loki's tank, mine seems so drab lol. Four t5s and maybe LEDs or mh

@ tonydd

could we get the same Lumious flux numbers for the 39w tubes..

@TonyDD as above.

Does D-D have PAR stats regarding deterioration by depth of each tube? And where T5 need to be substituted by halides or the latest plasma lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
@crispin thanks. Having used the Giesemann tubes for many years with great sucsess its hard for me to recommend any other T5's. They are fantastic lights.
@TonyDD what do you recommend in terms of watts to liters of water I have always gone with a ratio of. 1w to 1l or slightly higher wattage what are your thoughts on this for a mixed variety of coral.

Hi ADVdiver

The number of watts used as watts/L could be a bit of a sketchy ratio to use as it doesnt take into account the depth of the aquarium.A very shallow aquarium may get by on fewer tubes and still retain decent PAR at the sand bed for instance. 1 watt per L isnt a bad place to start though.

The lumen outputs can be found for other size tubes at D-D the aquarium solution website.

Aquarium Lighting | T5 Lighting | Deltec Skimmer | The Aquarium Solution

@TonyDD as above.

Does D-D have PAR stats regarding deterioration by depth of each tube? And where T5 need to be substituted by halides or the latest plasma lighting.

As yet we dont have any PAR info for the tubes im afraid Keith,this is something we may have to look into.

In my opinion T5 start to reach fall off in usuable PAR when trying to punch down over 30", after this 250-400 halides are favourable in addition.
I have no experience with the Plasma lamps although the ones i have seen running have looked to run at around 6000k and quite yellow looking.

Hi Guys. Sorry to highjack, but I am in the process of setting up a new tank. Tank dimensions are 1500 x 500 x 750 (water level at 700).

I have already decided to go with the giesemann bulbs and am fitting 8 54w bulbs (on 4 double 54w ballasts).

Was thinking of having the following bulbs

Back of tank
Acitinic Pure (Timer 1)
Aquablue Plus (Timer 2)
Aquapink (Timer 3)
Acitinic Plus (Timer 4)
Aquablue Plus (Timer 4)
Midday (Timer 2)
Aquablue Plus (Timer 3)
Acitinic Plus (Timer 1)
Front of tank

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
ok, so would it be fine if I swop the Acitinic Pure for another Aquablue Plus?

i'd swop the actinic pure for another actinic + and the midday for another Aquablue+

Hi Guys. Sorry to highjack, but I am in the process of setting up a new tank. Tank dimensions are 1500 x 500 x 750 (water level at 700).

I have already decided to go with the giesemann bulbs and am fitting 8 54w bulbs (on 4 double 54w ballasts).

Was thinking of having the following bulbs

Back of tank
Aquablue Plus (Timer 3)
Acitinic Pure (Timer 1)
Aquablue Plus (Timer 3)
Midday (Timer 2)
Aquapink (Timer 2)
Aquablue Plus (Timer 3)
Acitinic Plus (Timer 1)
Aquablue Plus (Timer 3)

Front of tank

What do you guys think?

My configuration would be as in blue.

Some help needed as well please.

I have the following:
3 Actinics
2 Pure Actinics
3 Aquablue +

Any ideas how these should be set up. I have 3 timers available so 4 bulbs may have to come on at the same time.
Advice will be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom