Time to start

Reaction score
So my freshwater angels died last weekend and I decided to scrap the tank instead of starting over. Thus providing me with the ideal opportunity to get a marine tank started.

I know the general consensus is to go as big as possible (budget not breaking) but since I'm not a homeowner yet I need to keep it practical for the time being.

I was thinking of starting something in the sub 100L range for now so that I could get used to how marine tanks work compared with my freshwater tanks.

I had a look at some tanks and can get a great deal on a Boyu MT-30 (http://www.boyuaquarium.com/en_ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=350) but that would be somewhat REALLY small and I know I'm going to kick myself for it in a months time.

I can get a Juwell Korall 60 (Tropical fresh water) tank for about the same, but would have to look at filter system changes for the marine side as I am unsure if the single sponge with maybe a seachem purigen bag would suffice ?

The Juwell will provide me a nice 55L display to start with at a reasonable price, depending on changes to be made for the filters etc.

The idea behind it all is to get a basic reef growing in increments as budget allows and having 2 clowns in there to start with.

But then I find myself wondering if maybe I shouldn't go for something bigger like the Boyu TL550 instead since it comes with everything one needs to get started and a decent size to boot.

In the end I know I would rather have a nice display tank but I have to start somewhere. Any advice to a complete newbie to marines ?

Hello and Welcome Lucas
First, hard to believe, but a sub 100L tank is more difficult to maintain than a 200L system. Water parameters are easier to maintain on double the volume. Also, do the Boyu have a sump? With at least a proper skimmer.
A Daro 1.2 tank, converted with overflow is very nice size to start with. Or any similar size 1.2m system. Anywhere in the 200L to 300L is the best size to start with, in my opinion.

But smaller than 100L can be done. I learned the rules of this hobby on a standard Daro 90L tank. But weekly water changes are a must do. Checking parameters weekly is a given task. Anything that can go wrong, goes wrong very fast. Your learning curve is very steep, a lot more than a more "stable" 500L system. So yes, can be done, but keep the above in mind.

Welcome Lucas. The Boyu 550 is a good tank to start off with. A lot of guys have them. Please read the beginners threads and the nano tank section. Look at guys build threads who have that tank so you can get an idea of how it works, what you need to do etc :)

A warm welcome to you..!:)

Please consider all your options before you venture out and go and buy a tank..

Remember these points:

• For the best filtration, you would need to sump
  • The less water volume you have, the more difficult it becomes to manage and maintain.. especially if you are new to the game
  • Lights - Get something with options to add your own lights
I must be honost in saying that i'm NOT a fan of Boyu tanks. All of our clients that have boyu tanks really battle. The only way to get around it is to do some serious DIY and frequent water changes (More than 10% a week)

You have the oppertunity to get a tank and set it up correct from the start. Like Riaan have mentioned, rather consider a standard 3 foot tank and get it a propoer sump with skimmer. You will then also have options in terms of denitration which you do not have on Boyu tanks and most freswater tanks.

Enjoy the hobby and remember to do loads of research!:thumbup:

Thanks for all the replies so far!

I've been going over a lot of reading material to try make sure I get started without doing myself in. I'm loving my little 60L freshwater but the marine has bitten rather badly.

If it makes more sense to rather start with the bigger tank then I'd rather play around with the equipment required and build up slowly until I can get everything then start the whole system when I've assembled everything.

The only downside to this is that I have yet to find a new place to lease so the waiting starts again. I don't want to start on the tiny compact MT-30 purely because I know it is money that I'd just be throwing away after 3 months.

Guess I'll start reading up on sumps etc to try understand the filtration system better and then start working on a list of what to get :)

Any advice to a complete newbie to marines ?

Yip, the link in my signature on starting a marine tank - do yourself a favour and read it ;)
O ja, welcome to MASA, hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Welcome to MASA! Some great advise from the other guys:thumbup:.
I would also just say take it slow and read, read, read, come back and ask as many questions as possible if you are unsure about anything! This is a great forum with some sound advise! Good luck and I look forward to the pics of your setup once you decide on your way forward!

So with current constraints I've decided to try my hand at a 60L Nano.
I know it is going to be more work than on a bigger tank but I simply cannot do a big tank now. Getting the tank at a good price and it will make for a very good learning experience since reading only provides so much.

The plan is to start small and expand as I can until I've out grown the tank and obviously learnt what I'm doing :) Hoping to get the basics this weekend so that I can start the whole system going. Getting some mature gravel to use and mature water to assist with the start which might be good.

Going to wait for a pair of tank bred clowns and then hope for the best. Luckily I have weekends mostly for myself to dedicate to this.

I'll get the photos rolling as soon as things are up (or being unpacked).

Back
Top Bottom