The Role of Activated Carbon in the Reef Aquarium

MASA Admin

Reaction score
Of the three types of filtration used in the reef aquarium hobby today, biological, mechanical, and chemical, it is chemical filtration that is possibly the least understood. This post is all about activated carbon, the most popular type of chemical filtration used in aquariums. What is activated carbon? Activated carbon is a chemical filtration media ... [Read More]

More...

You get Activated Carbon and you get activated carbon..... Pity they don't go into more depth on how to identify quality..... Iodine number, surface area per ml, ash, etc.

Last edited:
I Always ran AC in my Tanks! Even in my latest tank that was started in November! But stopped last Month!

I Currently have 4 Tangs in my Tank, One of my Yellow started with HLLE, So I did some research I Read that AC MIGHT be the Cause as theres not an exact known cause for HLLE!

I Decided to stop using AC and As Soon as I Removed my AC RX
The HLLE stopped Spreading!

Today My Yellow Tang is Nice and Healthy, The Lateral Line Recovered Completely, only left with a little erosion around the Eyes!!

Well.... Thats my experience with AC! It Just Might be a coincidence. I Don't Know! Tank Parameters were stable thru out!

I Always ran AC in my Tanks! Even in my latest tank that was started in November! But stopped last Month!

I Currently have 4 Tangs in my Tank, One of my Yellow started with HLLE, So I did some research I Read that AC MIGHT be the Cause as theres not an exact known cause for HLLE!

I Decided to stop using AC and As Soon as I Removed my AC RX
The HLLE stopped Spreading!

Today My Yellow Tang is Nice and Healthy, The Lateral Line Recovered Completely, only left with a little erosion around the Eyes!!

Well.... Thats my experience with AC! It Just Might be a coincidence. I Don't Know! Tank Parameters were stable thru out!
You saying carbon causes HLLE? @butcherman @carlosdeandrade you agree with this?

Last edited by a moderator:
but you right, its only when fluidised

That is what I observed in my System. Like I sead It Might be an coincidence! But Again I Ran it in a RX (Fluidised and Tumbling Slightly)

Mine runs in a bag lying in the sump, 24/7 changed every 30 days

Hi all

I started using Orca Diamond Carbon in a reactor about 6 weeks ago. Due for a change now but waiting for LFS to get stock so I can change it - apparently this coming week. I noticed today that my yellow tang is a little lethargic, not eating flakes, and has "something" wrong around its head area. Its still eating nori, when it can get some between the other tangs and fox face fighting for it. Even the sail fin that is half the size of the yellow gets more nori.
@Christo @butcherman, how long after stopping the carbon in the reactor did the yellow take to recover? Are you still using carbon in a filter bag / stocking / sock then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stupid question does this only effect tangs or are they just more sensitive how were the rest of the fish ,just asking I'm using carbon in a reactor or fluidiser but there's no tumbling it's packet tight with a piece of sponge and it's mixed with white stones to remove phos I forget what it's called I bought it mixed

Tangs are more susceptible to it. Please note its when the carbon is being agitated to much thatvthis occurs. The carbon pellets should not be fluidised. They should rather be static. Thats why a bag works well with them. Not to say you cant use them in a reactor.

Back
Top Bottom