Should i or not?

Reaction score
Hey every1 i have been looking for a tank for some time now, and found the perfect 1 but im not sure if i must? The tank size is 2.5 x 0.6 x 0.6 and the sump is 2.0 x 0.6 x 0.6 the sump and the tank is 12mm glass and the tank has a corner overflow only 1 outlet but wil fit 1 x 50mm pipe, now the big question is that should i buy this bad boy or not, the tank was used for freshwater before.. So what do you think,

awesum size. how old is the tank? i dont think with 12mm you should have any problems. price plays a huge roll... good price?

Check if the previous owner had used copper based medication for the FW fish,
also check the state of the silicone - it will most likely need to be redone,

Other than that - Bigger is better.

Or if you need a "scientific" excuse,quote Anthony Calfo:

Dillution is the Solution to Pollution :p

It could be a good buy, depending on price and condition. Check VERY closely for scratches and chips on the glass.

Remember, a big tank like that = LOTS of water = more/bigger equipment = $$$'s. Other than that, 2m x 0.6m x 0.6m is a nice size tank. :thumbup:

I would go for it, the tank and sump is an amzing size and if you have a good price then better. With those size tanks they normaly don't use silicone as it's not strong enough, they use an ultraviolet bonding glue (my tank has this glue, if you want to take that apart you'll have to break the tank!). Tanks of those size are rare and the possibiliteis endless! Scratches can be buffered out by your glass shop. I'm very happy with my tank secondhand and it is 700L, so my opinion is go for it.

why not buy it/ do you want it or not/ :) the way i approach such a project is i assess how much it will cost to get the tank looking the way i want it to look, it this cost os small and achievable why not go for it.. the main problem is usually scratches on the front glass but even if the tank has been coppered the copper looses its composition over time rendering it harmless and as an extreme precaution you could strip out and reseal the inner linings..

as for the overflow if it were 10 years ago it wouldve been a problem as you would have had to remove a pane and have it drilled, but now we simply drill the glass in place with a cordless drill with the bit size of our choice..

i say go for it sometimes refurbishing an old tank gives more satisfaction than buying a new one..

Hey, thax for all the help, im going to buy the tank, its R2800 for the whole tank sump return pums and stand with 100kg of pure white sea sand washed. And a light hood, a custom but has about 15 t5 with balast. Will post pics of the tank, going to see the guy in the next cuple of weeks, the only thing now is to get it frm ct to bfn without it breaking!

Thats a GREAT price! Just the lights alone would have cost R2800

Back
Top Bottom