Salinity all wrong???

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I think for the first time in my life I read the instructions on my salt bucket :p

And I found this, which confuses me somewhat.

150334b5041ed2.jpg

Why would Tropic Marin recommend such a low salinity reading of 1.020 to 1.022 when we all run our tanks at 1.024 to 1.026? Who's wrong here, us or Tropic Marin?

I checked my Instant Ocean bucket and they say the same thing. Why?

What do the other salt manufacturers say?

150334cf65323e.jpg

I think it is all part of their sales pitch.
1 bucket of salt makes xxx amount of litres....

NSW is 1.025-1.028 in most areas (locally it's around 1.026). Red Sea is a lot higher, 1.028-1.035. I keep mine at about 1.025-1.026.

Dean, when I started out in marines, it was also told to us to run our tanks at the 1.022 specific gravity levels. If you go back to my old posts, I even mentioned my parms was always at 1.022.It was only when I started the bigger tank, that I raised my salinity/specific gravity.

One thing I did notice, when my specific gravity is low (1.021-1.023), my softies are open and looking beautiful, and if I raise it, the softies "sulk".

As a matter of interest, I downloaded an app from Play store wrt fish/coral etc id's etc etc, and they also mention with every fish/coral compatibility list, to run your tank at 1.022.

But for reference, natural seawater has a salinity of about35ppt, corresponding to a specific gravity of about 1.0264 and a conductivity of 53 mS/cm.

And those buckets are wrong too, because salinity is measured in ppt (35ppt) and not 1.022 as they mention.(I have seen them on certain buckets as well as bags) They are actually referring to specific gravity

Last edited:
This range of products always get it right :)

I was mixing to those given rates, 365g per 10l and I almost fried my tank, when my water was tested with a refractometer it was sitting at 1.030. I now mix 300g per 10l now and my salt is perfect. Anyone out there tested with a proper refractometer when mixing Aqua V Salinity? I was using a hydrometer which is way off and unreliable so I would be keen to know the correct amounts to mix.

Last edited:
One is: Coral Reef Parameters and the other one is AquariumID

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Awesome apps those... :thumbup:

It's as Quintin says they will say that a 20kg bucket will mix 600l. (They often neglect to say that this will only happen if you mix your salt to 1.021/2.)

Seachems less expensive salts work exactly like this but their premium brand says that you should mix it to 1.026 and that you will then get the volumn that they advertise. More honest.

This makes perfect sense. SG is temp dependent. A SG of 1.023 measured with a hydrometer that is calibrated at 25c is relating to a salinity of 35.

A SG of 1.026 that is measured with a refractometers that is calibrated at 20c is relating to a salinity of 35.

You will always get a different SG reading between a refractometer and a hydrometer because the SG is referred to at different temperatures.

Of course the temp of the sample also has to be at 25c on a hydrometer. And at 20c on a Non ATC refractometer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom