Overdosing kalk

Reaction score
Howsit guys,

With the recent heat wave weve been having tank has been running hot even with fans. In an effort to help the situation I hooked up one of thos powerful floor fans to my temp controller, as a re**** my ATO has been using about 8lt a day. Put fan in on Sat morning. Is it possible that my kalk will overdose as I have it hooked up to my kalk stirrer.

Yes it is possible. Keep and eye on your ph, alk and ca. I do the same but ive just got a little 12v fan that keeps my temps stable

maybe split the line before the kalk stirrer, with a plastic tap on the other end. So you can control how much water goes via stirrer each time the ATU kicks in.

Tank volume?

At what rate is kalk added and what is the flow rate past the point where kalk is dripped into system?

½ liter per hour of saturated kalk (always the case with a stirrer) per 200 litres of tank volume is what I would consider the max.

However, the max is dependant on dissolved CO2 <<<< Bioload, gas exchange <<< flow and consumption rae of alk and C in each system

8 litres over a day of 24 hours...... for starters, depending on tank volume. except for an increased water bill, 8 litres evap per day is awesome, allows more kalk reduces Ca and Alk supplementation from more costly additives...

½ liter per hour of saturated kalk (always the case with a stirrer) per 200 litres of tank volume is what I would consider the max. However, the max is dependant on dissolved CO2 <<<< Bioload, gas exchange <<< flow and consumption rae of alk and C in each system 8 litres over a day of 24 hours...... for starters, depending on tank volume. except for an increased water bill, 8 litres evap per day is awesome, allows more kalk reduces Ca and Alk supplementation from more costly additives...

Tank volume? At what rate is kalk added and what is the flow rate past the point where kalk is dripped into system?

Nett volume of 560 lt, low bioload, mostly softies a few lps and only 2 sps.

I have tested my parameters closy and all seems fine. My usual RO usage is around 25lt every 5 days. Kalk is dosed via an ATU and stirrer so its much more than a drip. All corals seem to be fine no sulking at all.

So you are up from 5l to 8l per day...
8 liters per 24 hours = 0.3 l per hour? Per 500 odd litres? Question marks yes..... My math not what it should be.
Considering my previous post, you well within the max your system can handle.
Important to note.
A t-piece as Riaanp suggested, but I dont feel needed.
Rather put a tap on the top up line, to ensure rate of addition when the topup dumps is reduced.

Back
Top Bottom