New member looking to start what looks like awesome hobby

Reaction score
Hi All,

Joined a couple of minutes ago.

Been reading up on what looks like an awesome hobby/addiction?

Need some advice before I go and buy my first tank.

I live in Joburg - where do you guys suggest I go to to buy my first tank (wanting to buy a plug and play setup - not one for DIY)?

I am looking at a medium size tank, approx. 230L.

Not sure if I can name fish stores on the site, visited one in Centurion today and they seemed knowledgeable.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

I am not sure were in jhb you stay but most petshops sell all in one setups. Look on this forum in the for sale section, im sure there a few tanks that will interist you.

Welcome to masa.

Depends what you want, the Redsea systems look great, but are crazy expensive. There are also a few other options like innovative marine.

Thanks madmatt, looking for something bigger than nano, otherwise will have to upgrade later, unfortunately not unlimited funds!

Hi Taahir,

Yes, saw some of those advertised for approx. R30k, bit much for my budget.

You know of good LFS in Gauteng?

Something like Red Sea Max 130/250 can be a great start, as they are all in one systems, but they have been around for so long that people have found millions of ways to modify them

So you can go from standard plug n play to a DIY upgrade quite easily

Thanks for allthe advice guys!

Looking to start my aquarium from scratch yusufp, just not build it

masahello

Click on the forum tab on the top. Then it will take you to all the sections where you will find the Sponsors (LFS) and the For Sale section. Brows through there as there is some nice set-ups up for sale.

Welcome under the sea!! lol very addictive hobby ths but you going to love it.

My advise seek a nice running system for sale youll get serious value for money.

Hi All,

Been doing some research, please let me know what you think of below specs (also what I might be missing or what might not be necessary):

Tank - 90x50x50
Sump - 90x40x40
Skimmer - Reef Octo NW 110
Return pump - Sicce Syncra
Odessa T5 light unit
Flow pump - Sicce stream

I know that above is only the hardware - sand rock etc I will get later

Was hoping for your opinion on hardware

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom