My new tank design - Any advice

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I designed this tank after having some trouble with a tank that was build for me which had alot of hassles. I also have a 2 ft Jebo nano which house some clown and 2 x tangs and inverts, but I would like to convert it just to clowns.

Here's the design I'm thinking of, the corner sides at the back is 800mm x 800mm and the height is 500mm, Water level at 375mm.

42694d81f28477799.jpg

42694d81f2aad8740.jpg

I still need to design the sump. Any suggestions/advice?

i have the exact tank and size, see my thread

very cool

why is the water level so low? Are you going to use a wave maker?

and the height is 500mm, Water level at 375mm

Why? water level could be 450, or even 470. That is about 20% more water in the display.

Bonsai needs a lower water level so that he can access the tank easily. I was going to ask if 500 is not too high for you? I think this will make a stunning lagoon type shallow tank bonsai, looking forward to seeing this progress!

Last edited:
That's exactly why. Because of my limitations I need a nice display tank and a VERY practical one for me. As I'm only 1.1m tall, The tank stand itself will be built shorter than usual. So, this is where the calculations come in to play with the sump... I want to put in a TS1 skimmer. So the stand will not be shorter than 0.5 Meters(if I place the sump below the tank). So if the whole setup will be at a height of 1m, then I would just need a step stool, and not a ladder :lol: to do maintenance etc.

As I'm only 1.1m tall,

You got the best forum name on MASA.
Keep tank rim at 500, but make the overflow chamber 450 to 470mm.

Is it possible to have the sump extending to the corners? and have the skimmer stick up, past the tank?
Bonzai, PM me, and sent me the design you have on SketchUp, then I can draw what I propose.

Hey guys, I'm going to post a new thread on the same tank design, but with a Internal Filter system. It's all worked out according to volume, and flow. It should work fine, if fine tuned well. I will add the pics here as well.

Please, any advice would help.

You got the best forum name on MASA.
Keep tank rim at 500, but make the overflow chamber 450 to 470mm.

Is it possible to have the sump extending to the corners? and have the skimmer stick up, past the tank?
Bonzai, PM me, and sent me the design you have on SketchUp, then I can draw what I propose.

Hehe...Thanks RiaanP. I will PM you in a few minutes. Thanks.

there is a design flaw in your drawing, not to do with the filters, but to do with the practicallity of the the design, having it above like that will get in the way of your scaping etc, otherwise it reminds me of the old tunze and theil filters from the early 90's

You see, There will be a Plywood cover built that will go over the whole filter part & Tank, that will house the lighting. And I still need to fine tune the drawing, make the filters a tiny bit more shallow, maybe 80mm deep. This will then still give me a 375+ water level, before reaching the filters. In the corner, I'm going to use a Jebo pump, from the nano tanks, to draw my water up into the chamber where it will flow over into the filters. I imitated Jebo's design in this Tank.

Last edited:
I doubt if you will be able to reach all the filter compartments. Corner will be about 750mm. Is your arms that long? Mine is not.

Another option, why not have a triangular outlet. Will take a bit more space, but your water flow around it will be better.

I doubt if you will be able to reach all the filter compartments. Corner will be about 750mm. Is your arms that long? Mine is not.

Another option, why not have a triangular outlet. Will take a bit more space, but your water flow around it will be better.

Triangular Outlet? Meaning?

You'll see, one of the designs will need a sump under the tank. I just designed the internal filter one as a alternative option. I am leaning to a sump idea. Maybe I'll use the internal idea as a freshwater tank... Don't know yet.

Back
Top Bottom