My first marine tank, RSM 250

Looks good dude! What is your Mg sitting at? What I do if I have dodgy algae growth is raise Mg a little...it will start to die off?

But then again if all is in balance - and your Ca is higher than 500 your Mg will be 1500plus....but just check....weird.

@Bendor, three things here to consider. 1. PO4 might be registering lower numbers, and algae is still growing because it is being utilised by the algae. 2. The algae is utilising the PO4 that is "locked" in your rocks, remember they are plants, and if they can't get nutrients in one form, they will find it in another form. 3. Your test kit is giving inaccurate results, how old is the kit, what type of kit, most kits are not very accurate in giving one accurate numbers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good dude! What is your Mg sitting at? What I do if I have dodgy algae growth is raise Mg a little...it will start to die off?

But then again if all is in balance - and your Ca is higher than 500 your Mg will be 1500plus....but just check....weird.

Thanks @JS

I don't have a Mg test kit... yet.

@Bendor, three things here to consider. 1. PO4 might be registering lower numbers, and algae is still growing because it is being utilised by the algae.
I didn't think about this. So my phos reactor shouldn't be a waste time hopefully.
2. The algae is utilising the PO4 that is "locked" in your rocks, remember they are plants, and if they can't get nutrients in one form, they will find it in another form.
Can't do anything about this I suppose.
3. Your test kit is giving inaccurate results, how old is the kit, what type of kit, most kits are not very accurate in giving one accurate numbers?
Salifert, well within UBD, measured very high phosphate originally with the same kit which slowly came down to where it is now.

Thanks for the help!

So two days after a big clean, 10%WC and tests with previously reliable kits showing no nitrates and 0.03 phosphate my substrate, back wall, rock and glass is covered with a fine brown hairy substance. Looks like a diatom bloom from what I have seen on other threads. Awesome! not...

I do believe my phosphates are still high and the algae scum is just utilizing it with blistering speed resulting in low phos numbers. Hoping to start up a GFH phos reactor soon. Just waiting for the lfs to get it in. I like to support local when the prices aren't ridiculous. I might order from one of the very helpful online sponsors if it doesn't pan out soon.

Algae and diatoms sucks big wind.

It's lights out already and I'm worried any further light flashes from my phone will encourage further unprecedented algae growth so pics will come tomorrow.

Last edited:
Diatoms mean silicates are present, so as soon as you can get GFH the better

Also why I don't do water changes, creates instability , but that's my view

Hi Bendor

Update.gif

Please

Tok

Last edited:
Hey guy, My personnel opinion is that you need more good quality live rock, it will give more place for bacteria to grow and will help reduce the nitrate/ites. Also i found purigen really helped when i had cyno.

*(i did speed read skim this thread)

@Tokalosh I'm planning a little modification or two and will post some pics after. Haven't added anything new becaus I don't want to increase the bioload while I still have Phos and algae issues.

@erle vaughan I have been thinking the same thing. Mostly from an aesthetic point of view. I have 30 kg in 250 liters but it just doesn't look enough and the added biological filtration will be very helpful.

Last edited:
Update time.

Installed a reactor with 250ml GFH. Ran it in the front of the tank for a while to determine correct pump rate that will give me the magic fluidised bed. Cyano and GHA have greatly decreased and are growing at a much much slower rate. Stuck some rocks and a few corals down with pratley putty which does work great especially if you use superglue gel on either side of the putty ie. coral, superglue, putty, superglue, rock and press(to)!

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

Last edited:
Your tank is looking really good and healthy!

Your tank is looking really good and healthy!

Thanks Tekkengal! I've having loads of fun with it. I think my back chambers are full now though so no more tinkering.

Except for the dosing which I'm still planning. @Tokolosh has an awesome dosing system. I must admit I haven't tested anything including Ca, Alk for a while. Not many sps except for a few monti frags, but I'm sure I'll need it later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom